Starting a major or concentration
The RACE major consists of two core requirements – Introduction to Race and Ethnic Studies and a senior capstone project – plus seven electives from at least three different departments. While students may take Intro to RACE at any time, they are strongly encouraged to complete this course during their first or second years.
The RACE concentration consists of the core requirement-Introduction to Race and Ethnic Studies- plus four electives from two different departments. Though students may take Intro to RACE at any time, they are strongly encouraged to complete this course during their first or second years.
Are there courses students MUST, SHOULD, or CAN take their First Year?
- Must: There are no courses that must be completed during a student’s first year.
- Should: Students are strongly encouraged to take Intro to Race and Ethnic Studies during their first of second years.
- Can: Prospective majors may count sections of Writing 111 and Religion 121 as well as seminars designated specifically for first-years only. Please consult the annual list of approved electives available on RACE’s website.
Credit for previous coursework
RACE elective credit for a transfer course requires consultation with the program director.
RACE 121/122 is open to all students. Majors and concentrators may pre-register by contacting Deb Clark
- Email Jennifer Kwon Dobbs (contact information below) for advising and to learn more about events and opportunities sponsored by Race and Ethnic Studies.
- Week One information session and Fall student advising social
- Senior project advising for majors