Starting a major
SOAN 121 (Intro to Sociology) and SOAN 128 (Intro to Anthropology) are intended as first-year courses, but are not prerequisites unless otherwise indicated
Are there courses students MUST, SHOULD, or can take their First Year?
- Must: There are no courses that absolutely must be taken in the first year.
- It is advised that students take the required statistics course in either their freshman or sophomore year
- First year students can take the introductory courses to the major as well as any open 200-level course
Credit for Previous Coursework/Placement
- Credit is given for the statistics course requirement for an AP Statistics test score of 4 or 5
- Credit is given for the intro course requirement for an IB score of 5-7 in Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Transfer courses or courses taken as part of off-campus programs may be approved for credit by the department chair
Week One Information Session