Supporting St. Olaf’s mission to stimulate students’ critical thinking, the Speaking Space is a place for students to develop oral communication skills for academic engagement. Tutors at the Speaking Space help students to argue clearly and coherently in speech, to organize and develop thoughtful presentations of their work, to listen and respond to each other in discussion, and, in general, to develop the speaking skills that enable them to effectively engage in academic conversations.
Tutoring is available by drop-in or appointment. Appointments are available bi-weekly, weekly, or as needed. Click here to meet our tutoring staff!
- Discuss ways to make presentations more effective (content and performance)
- Help students to apply critical thinking skills to presentations and discussions.
- Provide a venue for speech rehearsals with constructive feedback.
- Help students manage speaking anxiety.
- Give students tools to develop their own effective presentations and discussions.
- Provide students with podcasts of their oral communication work.
- Offer discussion help for multilingual students.
- Write or organize an oral presentation (group or individual)
- Proofread or correct student work.
- Provide grades or discuss potential grades.
- Take responsibility for students’ oral communication work.
Before making an appointment on our online calendar, please note:
- Your device must be set to Central Time to ensure your appointment is at the correct time. For help with this, please visit the IT helpdesk.
- You will receive an email confirmation, and the event will appear in your St. Olaf Google Calendar. For questions about your appointment time, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you need to cancel an appointment, click “cancel” in the email confirmation you receive, or on the event in your Google calendar.