News

St. Olaf College | News

Hauck inducted into Swim Coaches Association Hall of Fame

HauckBob300x400St. Olaf College swimming and diving coach Bob Hauck ’87 has been inducted into the Minnesota Swim Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

Hauck has co-led the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams at St. Olaf alongside his father, Dave Hauck, for the past 25 years. He has led 13 women’s teams and 16 men’s teams to conference championships. Under his guidance, the men’s team has had 11 top 10 finishes and the women’s team three top 10 finishes at the NCAA Division III National Championships.

Hauck has also coached nine NCAA Division III individual national champions and 131 All-American swimmers and divers.

In 2009 Hauck and his father were named the NCAA Division III coaches of the year for men’s swimming, and they have earned coach of the year honors from the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference seven times.

In addition to his coaching, Hauck was a record-setting and champion swimmer at the age group, high school, college, national, and masters levels. He swam at St. Olaf, where he was an All-American 23 times, won seven national championships, set three national records, and won the NCAA Division III Swimmer of the Year Award in 1987.

He graduated in 1987 and continued to compete at the national and international level until 1993. During these years Hauck was a United States Senior Open Finalist for seven years. He also was a member of the United States Post-Graduate National Swimming Team and the Athletes In Action Team.

“I have been so fortunate to have been surrounded by tremendous people like my father, my club coach Reed Wahlberg, and my high school coach Skip Boyum,” Hauck says. “They directly influenced my competitive career but also continue to impact my coaching career in positive ways. I have been incredibly fortunate to coach at St. Olaf, where we have the ability to attract and work with such high-level and committed student-athletes.”