- This event has passed.
D.C. Service Day and Virtual Celebration
Give back to the community on May 2nd by pledging to participate in the Washington, D.C. St. Olaf Alumni Chapter Virtual Day of Service. Even as we practice social distancing, there are plenty of opportunities for us to serve our neighbors, family members, environment, and others in need. Let’s make our mark and do some good!
How to participate
Choose a service activity that you feel comfortable with and have the resources to complete. We encourage you to recruit your family members to serve with you. Then pledge to complete your service by registering for this virtual event. On May 2nd, complete your service activity and document the experience—if you have a St. Olaf t-shirt or sweatshirt you can wear during your service, even better! Post your photos on our chapter’s Facebook page and inspire others to serve as well.
End the day with a virtual happy hour to meet other alumni in the area, share stories from the day, and simply enjoy the company of other Oles! Bring your own beverage of choice and connect via our Zoom meeting at 5 p.m.
Not sure how to serve?
Check out this list of ideas or brainstorm on your own! Just make sure you stay safe and healthy as you participate.
- “Ring and Run”—Draw, paint, create, or write something friendly and uplifting and deliver these messages to your neighbors
- Join your community’s mutual aid network and help locally
- Offer to do yard work or run errands for a neighbor who needs assistance
- Make in-kind donations to a local food/diaper bank or shelter
- Make masks for neighbors and friends (Check out this sample pattern).
- Host a virtual benefit breakfast over Skype or Zoom—invite your friends, eat together, and pool your spare change to donate to a local charity or arts organization (A list of local nonprofits can be found here)
- Donate blood or plasma (be sure to make an appointment first)
- Pick up trash around your neighborhood or pull out weeds in a shared community space
- Complete a virtual COVID-19 Relief Race
- If you are a member of a house of worship, offer to call members of your congregation
- Create your own virtual volunteer opportunity
Register here today. We look forward to your participation for our Washington, D.C. Ole Service Day.
Contact Katie Chatelaine-Samsen ’09