The St. Olaf College faculty mentoring program was launched during the 2021-22 academic year. The goals of the program are to:
- Create a sense of belonging for all new faculty
- Support faculty retention
- Counsel new faculty regarding resources available to support their teaching and scholarly/artistic work
- Create connections throughout the campus for new faculty
- Guide new faculty through the expectations and processes around tenure and promotion
The St. Olaf mentoring program seeks to combine the traditional one-on-one model—using mentors from both the college and department perspective—with the group model such as the learning community that CILA hosts. As those relationships become established, the program will encourage mentors and mentees to seek peer mentors and mentoring networks so that each new faculty will encounter several mentoring relationships. The three-part plan at St. Olaf is conceived as providing new faculty a foundation upon which to build a mentoring community that provides support for faculty to thrive.