Just like traditional charitable gift annuities, deferred charitable gift annuities enable a donor to make a significant gift to St. Olaf while providing income to one or more beneficiaries. However, payments are deferred until later in life, allowing the gift’s principal to grow, ultimately increasing the annuity payment amount. This vehicle is ideal for pre-retirement donors or those in their highest-earning years.
What you need to know
- Deferred CGAs are established through irrevocable gifts of at least $10,000 in the form of cash, appreciated securities, or property.
- The value of your gift is invested in the college’s gift annuity pool.
- In exchange for the gift, St. Olaf promises to pay a fixed amount each year (an annuity payment) to you and/or one other income beneficiary for life.
- Payments begin on a future date. This date is determined when the gift is made.
- The payment amount is based on the ages of the income beneficiaries, the size of the gift, and the length of the deferral period.
- The longer payments are deferred, the larger the annuity payment will be.
- Payments are guaranteed for life and are backed by the full faith and credit of St. Olaf.
- After the final beneficiary’s lifetime, the college and its students benefit from the remaining value of your gift.
Not sure when you’ll need the income?
Flexible deferred charitable gift annuities give donors the same ability to receive payments later in life, but the option of choosing more payment start dates.