Within 30 Days of Finalization of Divorce:
- Health and Dental Plans:
- If you are on the St. Olaf Health and Dental Plans: Your spouse loses eligibility as a dependent for health insurance on the last day of the month in which the divorce is finalized (employee needs to provide copy of divorce decree). Your ex-spouse may continue group coverage under state and federal continuation provisions, referred to as COBRA. Contact Human Resources with your ex-spouse’s current address so we may notify them of their right to continuation.
- If you are not on St. Olaf Health and Dental Plans: You can elect to enroll in the St. Olaf Health and Dental Plans subject to pre-existing conditions. This provision will be waived if employee demonstrates that they have been covered by another group health plan for the 18 months preceding application for coverage under the St. Olaf Plan.
- Life Insurance: Your ex-spouse ceases to be an eligible dependent effective on the date the divorce is finalized. You must remove your ex-spouse from the policy by completing a Life/Disability Enrollment form available in the Human Resources office. Any children that you also have covered can remain on the plan.
- Medical or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts – Enroll or change annual election.
Changes to Consider at Any Time:
- Beneficiary Changes – Human Resources has forms available to update your life insurance beneficiaries. Visit the TIAA-CREF website to update the beneficiaries of your retirement annuities.
- Update Dependents – Call the Emeriti Service Center at 1-866-363-7484 if you are a participant in the Emeriti Health Account.
- Tax Withholdings – Adjust W-4 to make changes to number of tax allowances and marital status, if desired. Use Employee Self-Service to update your withholdings and send new W-4 to the Payroll Office.
- Address Change – Use Employee Self-Service to update your address.
- Name Change – Bring your new social security card to Human Resources which will enable us to update your name in the HR/Payroll system.