International Post-Graduate Opportunities

Go Abroad with a Fulbright

The U.S. Fulbright Student Program offers fully-funded awards that allow U.S. citizens who are recent graduates or graduate students to go abroad for study, research, or teaching. There are opportunities in over 140 countries. During their grants, Fulbrighters will meet, work, live with and learn from the people of the host country, sharing daily experiences. The program facilitates cultural exchange through direct interaction on an individual basis in the classroom, field, home, and in routine tasks, allowing the grantee to gain an appreciation of others’ viewpoints and beliefs, the way they do things, and the way they think. To learn more visit St. Olaf’s Fulbright Grants page.

Intern, Volunteer, Teach, and Work Abroad

There are a variety of ways to go abroad or away after you have graduated. Even on a tight budget, work, volunteer, internship, and teaching English abroad opportunities are readily available to you. The information below is intended to provide you with ideas to help you consider which option is best for you. However, before researching any opportunity, consider the following:

  • What do you hope to gain from the experience?
  • Where do you want to go?
  • Would you like to utilize any language skills? Are you proficient enough to work in that language?
  • How long would you like to stay abroad or away?
  • How important is it to be paid? Can you support yourself financially?
  • How will the experience relate to longer-term academic or career goals?
  • What type of working visa, if any, is required?


Internships abroad are a good way to build on the skills and knowledge you have already developed while gaining professional experience and networking within your field of interest. You can intern abroad as an undergraduate or after you graduate. Both options can help you gain practical experience, explore new career options, and strengthen your resume. You can participate in an internship as part of a study abroad program or find a position with the assistance of the Piper Center, or a placement provider (examples listed below).

Volunteer Abroad

Restoration projects, literacy campaigns, farming, and teaching are just a few examples of the many volunteer programs abroad. Some programs charge a fee and provide services such as insurance coverage, meals, and even housing. Some provide free room and board in exchange for work. Volunteer work opportunities range from a few weeks to two or three years. If you’re interested in development work, want to meet other foreigners and host nationals, consider volunteering with the Peace Corps.  The Peace Corps can be a great opportunity to engage in a volunteer experience. To learn more about the Peace Corps and other domestic and international service based programs, visit the Piper Center’s Gap Year and Service Programs page.  Additional opportunities are also listed below.

Teaching English Abroad

There are many opportunities to teach English abroad through established programs. Most programs prefer a commitment of one academic year, though some offer summer or semester possibilities. In general, a bachelor’s degree is required, although in most cases you do not need to be an English major. Organizations are more interested in your ability to speak native and fluent English. Volunteer and paid teaching opportunities can be found throughout the world.  Teaching positions may require TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, or other recognized certification.

Short and Long-Term Work Abroad

Short-term work abroad (less than one year; typically, 4–12 months) usually involves working in an unskilled job, where you can earn enough to cover your food, lodging and daily living expenses. This type of job probably will not pay enough to cover air transportation, but it may help provide some extra money for travel after you leave your job. Short-term work experiences include positions such as “au pairs” (a person who does domestic work for a family, possibly taking care of children in exchange for room and board and a chance to learn the family’s language), farm workers (through organizations like WWOOF), typists, cruise ship staff, hospitality workers, and youth camp leaders, among others. If you are a recent graduate, some of the easiest ways to secure legal employment overseas include work abroad programs like the British Universities North American Club (BUNAC). Long-term work abroad opportunities can be very career-focused opportunities. Usually obtaining a longer-term work visa requires sponsorship by an employer. For more information on obtaining work visas, visit the immigration website of the country in which you would like to work. If you are interested in seeking international employment, consult with the Piper Center for known opportunities and guidance preparing your resume, CV, etc.

International Internship, Work and Volunteer Opportunities

The following list is not exhaustive, and inclusion does not imply endorsement.

  • AIESEC – An organization that partners with global businesses to place students and recent graduates with international internships.
  • Alliance Abroad – Work and Volunteer Abroad programs around the world
  • BUNAC (British Universities of North America Club) – Non-profit that arranges volunteer and work programs in Britain
  • Cadres Online – Job Recruitment site in French
  • – Database of job openings from hundreds of employers across the U.S. and around the world (Asia, Canada, India, UK)
  • CareerOne – Employment Opportunities in Australia
  • Cultural Vistas – Internship and Exchange programs around the world
  • Cultural Ambassadors in Spain – The English Language and Culture Assistants provides university students and graduates, native speakers of English, with the opportunity to work in Spain supporting English teachers.
  • Electronic Embassy – Guide to foreign embassies in Washington, D.C.
  • Employment Guide – Database listings of job opportunities worldwide through key word search
  • Euro Jobs – Resource database for jobs in Europe
  • Eurograduate – Information on jobs and opportunities in Europe
  • Global Careers – Job listings and employers with a worldwide perspective. The site is run by a recruitment agency that specializes in international employment
  • Go Abroad – Job and work programs abroad
  • GOINGLOBAL – Information on resumes/CV’s, work permits, employment trends and job opportunities in the country of your choice.
  • Interaction – A network of organizations working in international development. Look out for internship opportunities on their homepage
  • InterExchange – Work, Internship, and Volunteer Abroad programs around the world
  • Intern Abroad – Searchable database of internships overseas.
  • International Research and Exchanges Board – International non-profit that specializes in global education and development
  • International University of Japan – Information on resumes and cover letters for Japanese & non-Japanese employers, including Rirekisho traditional Japanese form of a “resume”)
  • International Volunteer Programs Association – Provides guidance on choosing a quality volunteer program.
  • My World Abroad – Guide for studying, interning, volunteering, and working abroad
  • Overseas Job Web – Features overseas jobs and international employment opportunities
  • Peace Corps – Volunteer program run by the US government; work is generally related to social and economic development
  • Prospects – Lists entry-level and graduate-level job opportunities in the U.K.
  • United Nations – Information on UN programs, employment and internship opportunities
  • United States Department of State – Information about federal career opportunities
  • WWOOF – WWOOF is a worldwide movement linking volunteers with organic farmers and growers to promote cultural and educational experiences based on trust and non-monetary exchange, thereby helping to build a sustainable, global community.
International Teaching Opportunities
  • CIEE (Teach Abroad) – Teach abroad in selected countries
  • Cultural Ambassadors in Spain – The English Language and Culture Assistants provides university students and graduates, native speakers of English, with the opportunity to work in Spain supporting English teachers.
  • Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship – Offers a classroom placement to help teach English while serving as a cultural ambassador for U.S. culture.  St. Olaf offers Fulbright application assistance; please visit Fulbright Grants to learn more about St. Olaf’s support.
  • Japan Exchange and Teaching Program (JET) – Provides opportunities to teach foreign language education at Japan’s local government offices, Boards of Education, elementary schools, junior high schools, and senior high schools
  • LanguageCorps – Opportunities to teach English abroad
  • National Volunteer Center (Chilean Government) – Teach English in independent classes under the supervision of a Chilean head teacher in public schools.
  • SIT TESOL Certification – 4 week intensive 130-hour certification course in TESOL offered in various locations around the world from North Hampton, MA to Bangkok, Quito, Brisbane and beyond.
  • Teaching Assistant Program in France (TAPIF) – The Teaching Assistant Program in France offers the opportunity to work in France for 7months, teaching English to French students of all ages
  • Teaching English in Korea with National Kaohsiung Normal University (NKNU) – NKNU is looking for English teachers for Kaohsiung Municipal Junior high school and Elementary schools in Taiwan.
  • Teach and Learn in Korean (TaLK) – The program funds 300 undergraduate students or recent graduates each semester to teach conversational English in rural Korean schools. The program is fully funded by the Korean government and even includes roundtrip airfare
  • United States Department of State – Information about teaching in US Overseas Schools
  • World Teach – Non-profit NGO that provides volunteer teachers to low and middle-income countries
International-Related Graduate Study Programs

Returned study abroad or away students are often interested in pursuing graduate work in international education or comparative international education. The following list is not exhaustive, and inclusion does not imply endorsement.

The following schools offer degrees in international education, comparative international education or a similar field:

Graduate Student Study Abroad Opportunities
Graduate School – non U.S. Programs

Student Advisory

International and Off-Campus Studies and St. Olaf College are not partnered with and therefore does not endorse the listed organizations and institutions. They are provided as an informational resource and individuals must evaluate organizations and institutions for any usefulness or purpose.