LGBTQIAP+ Identified Students

Traveling with a LGBTQIAP+ identity can pose unique opportunities and challenges.  We want students to be their authentic selves while studying off-campus, but we also want to be up front about the potential safety risks for individuals within the LGBTQIAP+ community.  It is important for you to know that being “out” while traveling or studying off campus can impact your experiences and interactions with the host community.  While many locations are very open and accepting, some countries may be openly hostile or have laws against “homosexuality” or other sexual or gender identities.  Depending on where you go, public displays of affection or sharing who your partner is could pose safety and/or legal risks.  It is important that you speak with IOS, the Gender and Sexuality Center, or the program on-site director about whether or not you should disclose your sexual or gender identity to locals, your host family, etc.

#OlesOffCampus!  My Identity Abroad Story:

“I had the opportunity to do a gender studies course during my semester at DIS Stockholm, which was very important to me as a queer woman. We learned about gender roles in a Scandinavian context and some of the current issues going on regarding women’s rights in Sweden. But my favorite part was our week-long study tour to Berlin. We took a walking tour around the city that was specifically about LGBTQ history of Berlin, attended a traditional-style drag performance, and visited the Museum of Gay History. Most of my classmates were LGBTQ and we went to gay bars together every night. It was so great to relax with people like me and learn about a specific culture with a long history of acceptance, persecution, and celebration.”
– Anonymous ’18, DIS Stockholm

Things to Consider