Non-degree international students

Non-degree international students on exchange programs at St. Olaf College require J-1 student visas. Upon admission acceptance, the International Scholar and Off-Campus Coordinator will assist you in the steps to obtain a visa.  As a J-1 visa student, you are required to:

  • Enroll in a St. Olaf J-1 student specific insurance plan. Charges will automatically be applied to your student account. Minnesota law requires all students to be immunized against measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, and diphtheria. Please see
  • Complete the International Student Certification of Finances form to prove adequate financial support during time of study.
  • Demonstrate competence in English. Please see
  • Know that you may be subject to the Two-Year Home Residency Requirement (“2 Year Rule”, 212e). This rule may apply to anyone who enters the U.S. on a J visa, and requires visitors who are subject to return to their “home” countries and be physically present there for a total of two years before being eligible to return to the United States in immigrant (permanent residence/green card) status, H status (temporary workers and dependents), or L status (intra-company transferees and dependents). Change of status within the US is not possible while subject to the 2 Year Rule. Not all exchange visitors are subject to the 2 Year Rule. There are 3 grounds on which an exchange visitor can become subject:
    • If the exchange visitor is financed by the U.S. government or a foreign government for the purpose of coming to the U.S. on the J-1.
    • If the skill(s) that the visitor is coming to develop or work with are in a field that the visitor’s government requested to be included on the State Department’s skills list.
    • The visitor is coming to the United States to receive “graduate medical education or training. “Only medical doctors are subject in this case.

Please note: Academic training is not offered to J-1 students at St. Olaf.

Please visit the following webpages for additional information:

General information on International Students admissions can be found at –

Tuition, Room and Board can be found at –