Non-degree international students on exchange programs at St. Olaf College require J-1 student visas. Upon admission acceptance, the International Scholar and Off-Campus Coordinator will assist you in the steps to obtain a visa. As a J-1 visa student, you are required to:
- Enroll in a St. Olaf J-1 student specific insurance plan. Charges will automatically be applied to your student account. Minnesota law requires all students to be immunized against measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, and diphtheria. Please see https://wp.stolaf.edu/health/health-service-information-for-admitted-students/
- Complete the International Student Certification of Finances form to prove adequate financial support during time of study.
- Demonstrate competence in English. Please see https://wp.stolaf.edu/admissions/home/international-applicants/
- Know that you may be subject to the Two-Year Home Residency Requirement (“2 Year Rule”, 212e). This rule may apply to anyone who enters the U.S. on a J visa, and requires visitors who are subject to return to their “home” countries and be physically present there for a total of two years before being eligible to return to the United States in immigrant (permanent residence/green card) status, H status (temporary workers and dependents), or L status (intra-company transferees and dependents). Change of status within the US is not possible while subject to the 2 Year Rule. Not all exchange visitors are subject to the 2 Year Rule. There are 3 grounds on which an exchange visitor can become subject:
- If the exchange visitor is financed by the U.S. government or a foreign government for the purpose of coming to the U.S. on the J-1.
- If the skill(s) that the visitor is coming to develop or work with are in a field that the visitor’s government requested to be included on the State Department’s skills list.
- The visitor is coming to the United States to receive “graduate medical education or training. “Only medical doctors are subject in this case.
Please note: Academic training is not offered to J-1 students at St. Olaf.
Please visit the following webpages for additional information:
General information on International Students admissions can be found at – https://wp.stolaf.edu/admissions/home/international-applicants/
Tuition, Room and Board can be found at – https://wp.stolaf.edu/stuacct/compfee/