Prior to Departure:
- Talk to your student about goals and expectations in studying off-campus.
- Discuss any fears or apprehensions you or your student may have.
- Encourage your student to take responsibility for all pre-departure logistics and paperwork.
- Review Health and Safety information.
- Make sure your student has adequate health coverage. Review the St. Olaf off-campus insurance policy and what it covers for students.
- Talk to your student about responsible use of alcohol while off-campus.
- Help your student organize his or her finances for the time off-campus.
- Confirm that your student’s passport is valid for at least six months after their intended return date.
- Ensure that one parent/guardian has a valid passport as well, in case on an emergency requiring travel to join your student.
During the Off-Campus Program:
- Encourage independence.
- Encourage your student to create networks and meet local people.
- Avoid too-frequent contact via email, texting, or Skype to allow your student the best opportunity to integrate with the host environment.
- Remind your student of your support.
After Returning Home:
- Recognize that your student has likely had a life-affecting experience.
- Let your student share their experience as much as he or she desires.