The chat activity module allows participants to have a real-time synchronous discussion in a Moodle course. This is a good platform for facilitating conversations in a more immediate setting than the asynchronous forums. There are a number of features within this chat module for managing and reviewing chat discussions.
How do I add a chat to my course?
- Navigate to your Moodle site and turn editing on.
- Scroll down to the topic or week you would like to add a forum to.
- Select Add an Activity or Resource.
- In the windows that pops up, select Chat for an activity and then Add.
- Provide a name of this chat room. This title will be visible to students from the course page, so a descriptive title that suggests its purpose will be most helpful.
- The description you enter can include more precise instructions for students regarding the subject(s) of the chat. To display the description on the course page in addition to the Chat icon and title, select the Display description on course page box.
- In the Chat sessions section, you may also choose specific preferences for chat time, repetition of sessions, saving past session conversations, and who can view past sessions. You can also limit which group can see or participate in the specific chat sessions.
- Select Save and return to course when finished editing settings. Your chat will be visible in the section where you created it.
How do I view previous chats?
- Select the previous chat session you would like to see.
- In the Administration block, select View past chat sessions. (Alternatively, select the link in the center of the page.) This link will bring up a list of each chat session under the current chat topic.The list includes the time the chat started and ended, which users participated, and how many messages each user sent.
- Select List all sessions. You may now see or delete any session. Unless you allow everyone to see past sessions when making the Chat session, only the teacher will have access to the See/Delete this session option.
After creating a chat session, take some time to learn how participants use chat sessions. Once you know how to create and use chat, explore another activity option, the choice activity.