Hosting quizzes on Moodle saves paper and time, especially for grading when used in conjunction with the online gradebook. Creating a quiz on Moodle is a two or three part process. It requires:
- Creating a quiz shell.
- (Optional) Adding questions to the question bank.
- Populating the quiz shell with questions.
This page will guide you through the first step, creating a quiz shell.
How do I create a quiz shell?
- Navigate to your Moodle course and turn editing on.
- Scroll down to a course topic and select Add an activity or resource.
- In the window that pops up, select Quiz on the left side and then select Add.
- Give the quiz a name and description in the General settings category.
- Complete the Timing section.
- Opening and closing the quiz: If you do not want to set an open and close, then deselect the Enable box.
- Time limit: Set a time limit by selecting Enable.
- Complete the Grade section. If using the Moodle gradebook, select a category. If not, your only choice is “Uncategorized.”
- Complete the Layout section. Questions can remain in the same order or be shuffled.
- Complete the Question behavior section.
- Shuffle within questions: Selecting “Yes” will shuffle the answers in multiple choice and matching questions.
- How questions behave: Deferred feedback mode requires students answer all questions and submit the quiz before receiving feedback. This is the most common type.
- Select Review Options and then choose how much feedback to give. It is common to provide feedback only after the quiz has closed.
- (Optional) To add a password that students must enter before attempting the quiz, go to Extra restrictions on attempts and enter a required password.
- (Optional) To give general feedback for certain grade boundaries, complete the Overall feedback category.
- Complete settings common to all activities: Common module settings and Restrict access.
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Save and return to course.
You have now created a quiz shell that will later have questions. To finish creating your quiz, you must add new questions to the quiz shell. (Alternatively, you can add questions to the question bank before adding them to the quiz.)