What is a mailing list/email alias?
Mailing lists/email aliases are ways to email groups of people. “Mailing List” is the term for email aliases in Account Services:
What is a Google Group?
It’s our new way of handling mailing lists/email aliases. A Google Group is an email alias/mailing list….and (potentially) more.
So why the change to Google Groups?
Google Groups offer a more robust, more functional system of managing our email aliases. Groups provide many more options in the way email aliases work, offering more control and better visibility. It also adds features for power users.
To learn more about Google Groups (along with Google Drive, Team Drives and FileStream), please watch our training video.
NOTE: if you are only interested in the Groups portion, please fast forward to 46:00
How do I create a new Google Group (mailing list/email alias)?
The process is the same. Login to Account Services at go.stolaf.edu/account. Within the Mailing Lists section, please select Manage Mailing Lists. Under Create a new mailing list, enter the email alias you’d like to create, and select Next:
Once you select Next, your mailing list will be created – as a Google Group. Management of the group, including options, adding and removing users is done through Google Groups.
How do I access Google Groups?
There are two ways to access Google Groups:
1) Go to: groups.google.com
2) Select the Google Apps icon > Groups:
How do I add people to a Google Group?
We recommend the Direct Add method. Google warns you to use the feature carefully, but please note that this is more closely aligned with the old method in Account Services. To add people to your Google Group:
- Sign in to Google Groups.
- Click My Groups.
- In the list of groups, select the Manage link next to the group.
- On the left, click Members > Direct add members.
- Enter the email addresses of the people to add.
- Enter a welcome message. This is optional if you are adding people with a St. Olaf account, but required if you are adding emails outside of St. Olaf.
- Under Email Subscription Options, we recommend leaving the default “All email: send each message as it arrives”. You are free to change to fit your groups needs.
- Click Add.
Alternatively, you might choose to “Invite” members to your group, which is permission based:
- Sign in to Google Groups.
- Click My Groups.
- Choose a group.
- Near the top right, click Manage.
- On the left, click Members > Invite members.
- Enter the email addresses of people to invite. Optional: Enter text in the “Write an invitation message” field.
- Click Send invites.
What if I am the owner of an existing mailing list/email alias?
Anytime before April 10, 2018, you can migrate the list to a Google Group. If there is more than one Owner, you might wish to discuss with all owners before migrating the email alias.
To migrate your mailing list/email alias, please follow the steps below:
- Login to Account Services > Mailing Lists > Manage Mailing Lists.
- Select your mailing list > Next
- Select the “Migrate to Google” button
What are the different roles in Google Groups?
By default, Google Groups has 3 roles and each group can have multiple people in each role:
Everyone in a group has the Member role by default.
- Send messages to the group
- Add or remove group members
- Change member roles—for example, from member to owner
- Change any of the group’s settings
All the rights as Managers, plus Owners can delete the group.
What can power users do with Google Groups?
Power users can use groups to share content, including documents, folders and calendar events.
SHARING TEAM DRIVES
You can add a Google Group to a team drive. When you add/remove members from the Group, they are automatically added/removed from the Team Drive. To add members:
- Open your Team Drive
- Next to the Team Drive name, select the drop down arrow > Add Members
- Members will receive an email that they’ve been added
*Note – you can add people outside of the St. Olaf organization. However, they will only be able to access the Team Drive if they have a Gmail account.
Sharing MY DRIVE FILES/FOLDERS
To share documents/folders with a group, please visit https://support.google.com/a/answer/167101?hl=en
*NOTE* If you later add new members to the group, they’ll be able to access the document only via the document’s URL. To make the document appear in the Shared with Me view of a new member’s Google Drive, you must reshare the document with the group or share the document with the new member individually. To share the document/folder with the new member, follow the steps below:
- Open the file or folder to share
- In the folder/document, select Share
- Select Advanced, as shown below (DO NOT select shareable link):
- In the Sharing Settings window, select the Link to share (which is only accessible by collaborators)
- Email the link to the new member(s)
Once the new member clicks on the link, they will be able to access the document/folder, plus it will appear in their Shared with Me view.
Sharing Calendar Events
For occasional events, create a new event on your calendar. Add your Google Group as a Guest.
*NOTE* If you later add new members to your Google Group, you will need to edit the event(s) so that your new members are invited. To do this, open your event > remove the Google Group > Save > Open your event again > add your Google Group as a Guest.
For ongoing events, consider creating a Group calendar: https://support.google.com/a/answer/1626902?hl=en