For instructions on how to make calls from a campus phone:
Campus to Campus calling:
If you are trying to make a call to another person on the St Olaf campus or if you wish to reach someone at Carleton, simply dial the last four digits (known as the extension) of the phone number of the person you are trying to reach from any phone on campus.
Local Area Calls:
To make a local call to the Northfield area dial 9 + the seven digit number.
To make a local call to a number outside the Northfield area, dial 9 + area code + seven digit number.
Local area calling includes:
- All 612 and 952 prefixes, most 763 and 651 prefixes, some 507 and 320 prefixes.
- A list of local call prefixes can be found at here and more information can also be found on the MN Public Utilities Commission website.
Long Distance Calls:
Long-Distance calls can be placed from all Faculty or Staff office phones. Dorm rooms and public phones require you to use either a calling card or to place a collect call. Calling cards can be purchased in the St. Olaf Bookstore, or at stores in town such as Walgreens, Target, KMart, Cub Foods, etc. Please see the sections on “Calling Cards” and “Collect Calls” for instructions on how to place a call using one of these methods.
- To place a Long-Distance call from a campus phone with Long-Distance enabled, dial 9 + 1 + area code + seven digit number.
- To place “800”, “888”, “877”, “866”, or “855” number calls dial 9 + 1 + 8XX + 7 digit number. Long-distance calling does not have to be enabled to place a toll-free call using an 800#.
International calls can be placed from any phone on campus with Long-Distance calling enabled. To place an international call, you will need to know the country code for the number you are dialing. Here is an online source for country codes.
- To place an international call dial 9 + 011 + Country Code + Phone number.
Students wishing to make long-distance or international calls from their dorm room will need to purchase a calling card. If you plan to use the calling card for International calls, please make sure the card that you purchase works for international calling.
- To place a call with a calling card dial 9 + the 800# listed on the card + the card # + 10 digit phone number of the person you are calling. Please note – this process can vary depending on the type of calling card. Please consult the directions on the card if you are having difficulties.
These calls will have directory assistance where the person you are calling will be asked if they will accept a call from you. Collect calls can only be accepted on phones with long-distance enabled.
- To place a collect call dial 9 + 0 + area code + 7 digit number. Wait and an operator will place your call and ask the party on the other end if they will accept the charges.