Phone System Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions about the phone system. If you have more questions please contact the IT Helpdesk.

Q: How do I add a second participant to an ongoing call (i.e., conference call)?

Note: this can only be done with a desktop phone at present.

• While on a call with someone, press Conf
  • Dial the phone number or extension to add and press Send
  • Press Conf again to join the two calls together

Q: How to pause music when a phone call comes in?

Open your music streaming app, and press pause.

Q: What should I do if I don’t have an internet connection?

Check your wireless connectivity, and try to connect to “eduroam” if on campus.

Q: How do I transfer a call?

Desktop phone:  

• Press either the Transfer or the TRNF button
  • Enter the extension (or transfer directly to voicemail by prepending * to the extension. E.g., *3830)
  • Press Transfer or TRNF again  

Soft Phone:

1. While on a call with someone, press the transfer button (on the desktop phone) or transfer button under the three-dot menu (in Zulu softphone).
  2. Enter the extension (or transfer directly to voicemail by prepending * to the extension. E.g., *3830)
  3. Press the transfer button again (on the desktop phone) or transfer icon and then checkmark (in Zulu softphone).

Q: How do I transfer a call directly to voicemail?

If you want to transfer someone to another person’s voicemail (without ringing the other person’s phone), dial *XXXX where ‘XXXX’ is the extension. The * prefix will force the transfer to go straight to voicemail.

Q: How do you forward a phone message/voicemail?

Forward the email that you received to another party.  

Q: How do I record my voice message?

1. Log into stoFaces, the site where you manage your online directory options, etc.
  2. Select the “Voicemail” option in the menu.
  3. Follow the instructions on the screen to record your custom greeting, set an extended absence greeting, and/or record your name for a standard greeting.

Q: How do I put on a do not disturb?

Dial *76 to toggle the “Do Not Disturb” feature. While enabled, callers will hear your Busy message (if you have one) and go directly to voicemail. Dial *76 to toggle it off when you want.

Q: How do I put on an extended absence message?

Q:  I use a Mac.  If I have my Zulu running and my Mac falls to sleep, Zulu won’t reopen.  What should I do?

Zulu is still available, but you need to open it from the status menu and not from the dock.  Look for the “Z” in the upper right hand corner of the screen and click on it.

Q: When calling off-campus numbers, are there any changes?

Yes. You don’t need to dial 9 beforehand anymore. Long distance numbers no longer need the 1 at the beginning either, but you still need the country code for international calls.

Q: Do you have to keep the softphone program (Zulu) open?

Yes, but you can close the window.  It will continue to run in the background so you can receive calls.

Q: Can you have both a desktop phone and use the softphone (Zulu)?

Yes, both will ring when calls come in and you can answer calls on either one.

Q: What do the various lights mean on the phone?

Nothing at the moment. The manufacturer is working to fix the notification lights on the phones, but for the time being, they don’t mean anything and can be safely ignored.