St. Olaf IT maintains a virtual private network (VPN) for use by college faculty, staff and students. A VPN allows computers off campus (e.g. at your home) to securely connect to the St. Olaf network and function as if it was on campus. It allows access to server files, applications, and library resources that are restricted to on campus users.
Important security note: When configuring a VPN connection on a computer that is shared by multiple users (e.g. your home computer), do not check the Save password box – this will allow any user of the computer to connect to St. Olaf network.
VPN Setup for Computers:
- Windows 8 and 10
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- MacOS 10.7 and newer (including Sierra and High Sierra!)
- For Linux, please see your distribution’s documentation for setting up a VPN connection using PPTP.
VPN Setup for Mobile Devices:
- iPad, iPhone and iOS 10+ devices
- Android and Chromebooks: due to the multitude of devices and versions, below are general settings. For specifics on setting up a VPN on your device, please visit your vendor’s website.
- Type: PPTP
- Server Address: vpn.stolaf.edu
- Account: enter your St. Olaf username
- As a general rule, leave all other settings as default
If you have problems, please contact the IT Helpdesk at 507-786-3830 or email@example.com