The Piper Center is pleased to offer grant awards for students pursuing unpaid or underpaid internships during Interim or the summer. The maximum award is $2,000.
See here or below for Application Process and Required Documents.
Deadlines and Application Timeline
Interim 2019 Internships
Priority deadline: Friday, November 16th
Recipients notified: by Wednesday, November 21st
Payment processed: Friday, November 30th (if student confirms by November 26th)
Summer 2019 Internships
Priority deadline: Thursday, April 4th
Recipients notified: by Thursday, April 11th
Payment processed: Friday, April 19th (if student confirms by April 15th)
Second deadline: Wednesday, May 1st
*If demand exceeds available funds, priority will be given based on class year (i.e., juniors would have priority, then sophomores, then first years)
Recipients notified: by Monday, May 6th
Payment processed: by Friday, May 17th (if student confirms by May 13th)
Required Orientation: See here for dates
- Students are only eligible to receive one internship grant award during their St. Olaf career.
- Summer Award: first years, sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply
Interim Award: sophomores, juniors and seniors are eligible to apply
- Minimum hours and duration (Summer): Minimum of 240 hours total spanning at least 8 weeks.
- Minimum hours and duration (Interim): Minimum of 150 hours spanning at least 4 weeks.
- Students who choose to register for academic internship credit must follow guidelines and deadlines for Domestic Academic Internships or International Academic Internships
- Students are generally not allowed to complete internships in locations with a State Department Travel Advisory Level 3 or Level 4 (unless it is the student’s home country). Students who would like to request special permission to be eligible to apply for funding should complete this form and email to <jacobi> two weeks before the application deadline.
- Students completing internships or research on-campus or where the employer would be St. Olaf are not eligible for funding
- Frequently Asked Questions
Application Process and Required Documents
1. Secure an internship (must meet the criteria described above)
Please stop by the Piper Center if you need assistance finding an internship.
2. Request a Confirmation Letter or Email from your internship site with the following information:
- addressed to the intern and including the site supervisor’s name and title;
- a brief description of the intern’s role/responsibilities (bullet points are sufficient);
- confirmation of the time commitment, including start and end dates;
- must appear on the employer’s letterhead or sent directly from the site supervisor’s work email
3. Complete the Budget Worksheet (and print)
4. Complete the Grant Award Online Application (online form)
5. Complete the Written Statement Form (and print)
6. Update your resume (and print)
7. Complete the Memorandum of Understanding, Liability Waiver, W-9 (domestic students only), and direct deposit forms available in the Piper Grant Award Google Folder
8. Deliver Application Packet to the Piper Center
Application packet must include hard copies of the following documents delivered to the Piper Center by
4:30pm on the due date:
- Confirmation Letter or Email (see criteria above)
- Grant Award Budget Worksheet
- Written Statement Form
- Memorandum of Understanding
- W-9 (if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien)
- Direct deposit (unless you would prefer to receive a check for any funding you may be awarded)
- Liability Waiver
NOTE: INCOMPLETE PACKETS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
*Students who are currently abroad have the option to email electronic copies of the four documents to <firstname.lastname@example.org>
9. Await Notification from the Piper Center
Within two weeks of the application deadline, you will be notified via email whether you received funding, and if so, the amount. Those that are awarded funding and have submitted a complete application will receive the award via check or direct deposit approximately four weeks after the application deadline.
10. Attend one of the Required Internship Orientation Sessions (dates and times will be emailed to grant recipients)
Terms of Agreement
All grant award recipients are expected to do the following:
- Students who are selected to receive a grant award are required to attend one of two orientation sessions (see above for dates and times)
- Complete the minimum hours requirement for Interim or Summer (listed above). Recipients who do not complete the internship as described in their application will be required to pay back the full award amount.
- Complete a post-internship survey.
- Give permission for your internship site, title, location and dates to be included in the searchable St. Olaf Internship database.
- May be asked to participate in a reflection session with other grant recipients upon return to campus.
Funding is made possible through the Boldt Fund for Career Enhancement, the Dalgaard/Korda Family, the Paul and Anne Finstad Family, the Mel George Family, the Salveson Family, and the Harry C. Piper Fund.