Process for Cross-Listing of Existing Courses in Two Departments/Programs
- Instructors interested in cross-listing existing courses must complete and submit electronically a Cross-Listing Rationale in the form of an e-mail that contains the following information:
- An explanation of the place of the course in the curriculum of each department
- An explanation of the ways in which the course subject and/or approach lies between two discipline-specific or interdisciplinary fields and/or the approach to the subject matter draws on two discipline-specific or interdisciplinary fields
- E-mail approval of both/all department chairs/program director
- E-mail approval of the relevant associate deans (including the associate dean(s) responsible for overseeing any GE attributes attached to the course)
- When the Registrar has received the completed rationale and e-mail approvals, the proposal will be forwarded to the Continuing Programs Subcommittee of the Curriculum Committee for review and approval.
- Upon approval, the newly approved cross-listed course will appear in the class and lab in numerical order under the joint heading, as well as in the course listings under both sponsoring departments. A cross-listing notation will be appended to the class and lab entry. In the St. Olaf catalog, the course will be listed, in numerical order, under each of the sponsoring departments; an additional cross-listing notation will be included.
In cases in which two departments/programs wish to cross-list more than one course, they may bundle these courses together in one rationale.
The process for cross-listing existing courses in more than two departments/programs is the same, but the course will be housed under the Interdisciplinary Studies (ID) program in the catalog and class and lab schedule. It may be cross-listed under all of the participating departments in the catalog and in the class and lab schedule.
For the Cross-Listing of Courses: Policy approved by the faculty in April 2007, please see https://wp.stolaf.edu/registrar/crosslistpolicy/.
If you have questions, please contact Kathy Granquist (x8009 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)