How do I send an e-mail to my students/advisees?
In accordance with FERPA, any messages you send to more than one student MUST be blind-copied so that any one student does not see the names of the other recipients.
To e-mail some of your advisees or the students in your courses, blind-copy (Bcc) them using your St. Olaf account. Do not include any student-specific information (grades, schedules, etc.) in the message, and do not refer to the students by name in the message.
To send an e-mail to a whole class:
- Follow the instructions for viewing your class list or advisee list.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click on “Send email to this class/list of advisees.”
- This will open a message to compose within your St. Olaf Google Mail. The recipient line will contain the course alias.
You may also send an e-mail to all of the students in all of your classes.
- On the Course List page that shows all of your courses for a term, click on “Send email to these classes.”