Student Staff Employment
Each year Residence Life has the pleasure of selecting over 175 student staff members to take on very important roles within our residence hall communities. Together, Inclusivity Advocates, Resident Assistants, Junior Counselors, Student Hall Coordinators, Building Assistants and Hall Receptionists work together to create a welcoming and inclusive living environment. The 2021-2022 selection timeline is provided below.
- Hall Receptionist (HR) – Application not available until after room draw
- Inclusivity Advocate (IA) – Application Deadline Extended to March 31, 2021
- Resident Assistant & Junior Counselor (RA & JC) – Application Deadline Passed
- Student Hall Coordinator (SHC) – Application Deadline Passed
- Building Assistant (BA) – Application Deadline Passed
Student Staff Employment Application
Students interested in applying for the Inclusivity Advocate should submit their application and cover letter by March 31, 2021.
- Cover Letter Questions Prior to creating a cover letter, candidates should review the Cover Letter Questions document. This document provides specific prompts we would like addressed for each position a candidate is applying for. Cover letters should be no longer than two pages (12 pt font) and should demonstrate the candidate’s ability to synthesize ideas in their own voice! Candidates should not simply answer the questions one by one. Once the cover letter is complete, candidates may submit their Student Staff Application Form.
- Student Staff Application Form – Click here to submit an application for the IA position.
If you have any further questions regarding the application process, please contact Joshua Lee, Assistant Dean of Students for Programming and Assessment, via email, phone (507-786-3503) or by stopping by Tomson 148.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When does training begin? How long is training?
- Student Staff training begins the week prior to New Student Orientation. However, dates vary based on position and will be outlined in the offer letter prior to candidates accepting the position.
- Will I still be considered for a position if I plan to be abroad for a semester?
- Anyone interested in being on staff is encouraged to apply regardless of their abroad intentions. In most cases, we believe it is in the best interest of the community to have the same staff member throughout the year. However, there have been exceptions which vary by year based on need.
- Will I have time for other commitments outside of the position?
- Often times this is a very personal determination. Residence Life positions can be very demanding, especially at certain times of year (ie. Move-in, Break Inspections, Move-out). However, many staff successfully balance their academics with involvement in a student organization, music ensemble or athletic team. It is STRONGLY advised not to have more than ten hours of other commitments in addition to classes. If outside commitments have negative impacts on a staff members academic, personal well-being, or job responsibilities, they may be asked to consolidate their commitments or step down from their position.
- What is the selection timeline?
- March 10 – Application Deadline; All candidate applications received by the deadline will have an opportunity to interview.
- March 23-26 – Candidate Interviews; Interview invitations will be sent via email. Interviews will take place between 9am-9pm on each interview day and will take one hour.
- March 31 – Candidates Notified of Hiring Decisions; All candidates will receive communication about their candidacy status. Some candidates may be asked to wait in an “Active Pool” until we can finalize our hiring needs in May which depends on the new first-year class.
- March 31 – Extended Inclusivity Advocate Application Deadline; Additional selection details will be sent to candidates after the deadline.
- April 5 – RA/JC/SHC/BA Acceptance Deadline