Hall Council Membership
Hall Council is the sponsoring body for cultural, social and recreational programming for each residence hall. Organization and committee structure vary from hall to hall and year to year to meet the needs of students in the specific hall. Currently all halls have a President, Communications/Outreach Officer, Recorder, Treasurer, Senator and floor and/or corridor representatives. In addition to hall-wide programming, Hall Councils assist in legislating residence hall policies regarding noise control, damage and other community concerns.
Hall Councils also serve as a link for the Student Senate. Hall Councils have an opportunity to advocate concerns of the residence hall community by:
- Keeping the residents informed of residence hall, campus and Student Senate activities and issues;
- Seeking information from residents to relay to Hall Council and Student Senate;
- Coordinating the planning and implementation of educational, social, cultural, recreational and spiritual activities within the residence hall;
- Legislating, with the guidance of the Area Coordinator, individual residence hall policies regarding noise control, damage and other mutual concerns;
- Assisting the Area Coordinator in matters pertaining to the physical condition of the hall;
- Encouraging concern for the quality of life and community development in the residence hall.
While all residents are contributing members of their hall council, there are several formal leadership opportunities that are elected at the beginning of each academic year in collaboration with Student Senate elections. Click the links below for more information about the election timeline and available positions.
IHC Hall Council Policy Manual (this is a living document that continues to evolve)
Hall Council Election Details (www.oleville.com)
Hall Council Election Timeline (2017)
- September 1 – Position descriptions and applications available on Oleville.com
- September 15 – Position applications due on Oleville.com
- September 16-20 – Candidate profiles updated and posted in the halls/Oleville; Hall Council Forums held in each hall
- September 21 – Election Primaries
- September 26 – General Election
- October 1 – Hall Council Training & Retreat (12am-3:30pm; Buntrock Ballrooms)