Junior Counselor and Resident Assistant Applications
Each year we have the pleasure of selecting approximately 70+ student staff members to take on very important roles in our residence halls as Resident Assistants and Junior Counselors. We continue to recruit candidates year-round as positions sometimes become available throughout the year.
Candidates interested in openings this year will be notified by the Assistant Dean of Students for Programming and Assessment if/when a position becomes available.
- JC & RA Position Description and Working Agreement – Click here for more information about the Junior Counselor and Resident Assistant positions.
- JC & RA Application – Click here to submit an application for our Junior Counselor and Resident Assistant positions.
If you have any further questions regarding the application process, please contact Joshua Lee, Assistant Dean of Students for Programming and Assessment, via email, phone (x3011) or by stopping in Tomson 148.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When does training begin? How long is training?
- RA/JC training begins on the Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 1pm. RA/JC staff are welcome to move in to their room as early as Friday, August 23, 2019. Training continues each day until Friday, August 30, 2019. RA/JC staff will have additional responsibilities during Week One for move-in and orientation.
- Will I still be considered for a RA/JC position if I plan to be abroad for a semester?
- Anyone interested in being on staff is encouraged to apply regardless of their abroad intentions. In most cases, we believe it is in the best interest of the floor community to have the same staff member throughout the year. However, there have been exceptions which vary by year based on need.
- Will I have time for other commitments outside of the RA/JC position?
- Often times this is a very personal determination. The RA/JC position can be very demanding, especially at certain times of year (ie. Move-in, Break Inspections, Move-out). However, many staff successfully balance their academics with another job or student organization. It is STRONGLY advised not to have more than ten hours of other commitments in addition to classes.
- What is the typical RA/JC selection timeline?
- Mid-February – Application Deadline; All candidate applications received by the deadline will have an opportunity to interview.
- Late-February – Returning Candidate Presentations; Presentation invitations along with the topic prompt will be sent via email. Presentations will take place between 10am-5pm on each interview day and will take fifteen minutes.
- Early-March – New Candidate Interviews; Interview invitations will be sent via email. Interviews will take place between 4pm-9pm on each interview day and will take one hour.
- Mid-March – Candidates Notified of Hiring Decisions; All candidates will receive communication about their candidacy status. A few candidates may be asked to wait in an “Active Pool” until we can finalize our hiring needs in May which depends on the new first-year class.