Is your organization interested in hosting a dance? The staff in the Office of Student Activities can help!
Only ONE Pause Dance per month.
This checklist has everything you need to know to host a successful dance:
Here’s a printable pdf of what’s below.
- Reserve your space:
- The Pause at http://oleville.com/pause/reservations/
- All other spaces, including Art Barn through R25: https://wp.stolaf.edu/scheduling/
- If you would like the Pause techs to be involved with music and lights and your event is outside the Pause, fill out the Pause reservation above and select “Elsewhere on Campus”
- Pause Dances are 10pm—1am
- Contact the Office of Student Activities (BC 107, 507-786-3999) to discuss security with either Kris Vatter (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Catherine Paro (email@example.com)
- Dances often require outside security
- New Policy: Orgs must pay for 30% of the price of outside security (about $360 for the org)
- Kris and Catherine can book the outside security
- Find a DJ
- Contact MEC (oleville.com/MEC/) for suggestions
- Select a member to be the host(s)
- This person will be at the dance the whole time and available for any questions
- Not participating
- Have org members sign up for shifts (or assign them shifts)
- Required shifts
- ID Scanning (2 people per shift)
- Snacks and water (2 people per shift)
- Set-up (4 people minimum)
- Clean-up (4 people minimum)
- Contact the Office of Student Activities (OSA@stolaf.edu, BC 107) to reserve ID swipers for Presence and receive training by Wed. the week of your dance
- Reserve Event Host Badges from the OSA or have each member wear an identifiable item, like an org t-shirt or your own badges, during their shift.
- Attend the Monday Pause Programming Meeting at 10:10am the week of your event
- Check out a credit card from the OSA and purchase snacks for the event
- Pretzels, goldfish, etc. are a must
- Candy usual too (gummy candy is difficult to clean up)
- Recommend Menards for bulk
- DJ should arrive at 9pm (or an hour prior to start)
- Host(s) and set-up team should arrive at 9:30pm at the latest (or at least 30 minutes prior to start) to set up snacks and water, and swiping station.
- The Office of Student Activities has bowls for snacks that can be checked out
- Water jugs and cups are supplied by the Pause but it is the org’s responsibility to keep the water and cups stocked
- If elsewhere on campus, make sure you pick these up from the Pause prior to the event
- Host(s) will remain available for questions, not participating in the dance, and checking on members who were signed up for shifts.
- Host(s) and clean up crew must stay and clean up at the end of the dance.
- Put tables used for food and water back where they were
- Clean snack bowls
- Empty and return water jugs.
- Required shifts
Any questions? Contact the Office of Student Activities (BC 107, 507-786-3999)