St. Olaf has a fleet of vehicles which are available for official business of the college. These are available to faculty, staff and registered student organizations.
Anyone driving a college vehicle must be at least 18 years old, must be on the approved drivers list, which includes passing a motor-vehicle background check and maintaining the online Alert Driver safety training program certification that must be renewed every two years. Interested in the training? Go here.
- 8 Minivans (7 passengers total) – $.50 a mile
- 1 Chevy Traverse with all wheel drive and 5,200 pound towing capacity (8 passengers total) – $.65 a mile
Mileage rate includes gasoline, insurance and maintenance. (*Charges are subject to change.)
A cancellation charge of $25 will be assessed if your request is not cancelled within 24 hours of reservation.
Local trips are charged a $25 minimum fee.
Vehicles will not be reserved/checked out without a department unit number.
Trips leaving before 9:00 am on Saturday or Sunday must pick up key packets the night before.
To reserve a vehicle, email the Buntrock Commons Scheduling Office and include:
- Date and Time of Departure
- Date and Time of Return
- Unit name and number for the charge
- Preferred size of vehicle (mini-van or Traverse)
- Number of people traveling
- Driver’s name (and cell number, if known)
Key packets can be picked up at:
- Buntrock Information Desk – during the academic year.
- Buntrock Scheduling Office – Summer
All college vehicles are parked in the lot on the west side of Tostrud.
Travel groups of 15 or more are encouraged to utilize a chartered bus if the travel distance is greater than 50 miles one-way. Northfield Lines is a trusted, local, transportation vendor:
Click here to request a free quote. A transportation specialist will get back to you shortly with more information.
If at any time you need personal assistance, please call Northfield Lines, 651-203-8888.
If a college vehicle is not available:
Faculty/Staff: Please call our preferred rental car vendor, Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Their local address is: 150 Water Street S, Northfield, and their phone number is (507) 664-9944. Drivers must still be approved through St. Olaf.
Students: Office of Student Activities can arrange for you to rent from Enterprise, or students may use this link: https://wp.stolaf.edu/sa/transportation/enterprise-rentals/
- The College disallows the rentals of 12 passenger vans through Enterprise, or other rental car companies.
- Charges vary according to size.
- With rental vehicles, gas is over and above the regular charge.
- Drivers must be 18 if using the St. Olaf account, 21 if reserving as an individual.
- Cancellation of rental vehicles must be made at least 48 hours prior to scheduled use or a cancellation charge will be incurred.
- There will be a $50 fee applied to each rental cancelled within 24hrs of the pickup time.