(Use 511.mn.org to learn the most recent winter road conditions for Minnesota and surrounding states)
- Stop for Pedestrians. It is Minnesota law that pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks.
- SLOW DOWN! Posted speed limit on campus is 15 mph. You made need to drive slower in winter.
- Assume snow plow operators cannot see you.
- No passing on campus roads.
- Increase following distance, begin breaking early. On snow-packed or icy roads stopping time can be extended to 5 times what it would be on dry roads.
- Keep car windows completely clear of snow (lights and mirrors too). Take a few extra minutes and properly clear off your car.
- Exercise caution when backing up or parking. . . visibility is limited by snow banks.
- Never drive into a snow cloud. A snow cloud usually means that there is a snow plow which can do major damage to a passenger vehicle.
- Finally, driving in winter conditions causes rapid mental and physical fatigues and reduces reaction times. . . so BE CAREFUL!!!