A vast and endlessly bewitching region in northern India, Rajasthan is known for its rich history of rulers, forts, and royalty. But its music and artistic craft traditions — especially textiles and fabric embellishments — are often overlooked. Travel to this fascinating area to take a closer look at its finely crafted arts including their colorful fabrics, and examine their connections to folklore and other cultural traditions. The beauty of Indian weaves, prints, patchwork, embroidery work, stitch work and the vibrant colors and patterns are legendary.
History is full of the many quests that have been made for these treasures. Merchants from many distant shores have dared the perils of the sea for Indian cloth and designs as much as for spices. Discover the heart of the spice world by visiting spice markets, and delve into Rajasthan’s rich musical heritage by learning how instruments are made and played. Explore the Textile Trail through Rajasthan and Gujarat’s Ahmedabad – as we take you from the industries that weave, warp and spin, through the traditions that embroider, dye and print, to markets that design, fashion and sell the incredible variety of fabrics. This program offers a unique chance to visit towns and villages known for their rich array of distinctive textile designs and production, and to see how opulent and long-preserved traditional motifs and techniques continue to evolve.
- With local experts, trace the story of Indian textiles – patterns, colors, and weaves on this handcrafted tour through Rajasthan and Gujarat
- Get an intimate insight into the creations of contemporary local artists
- Discover the hidden treasures of Jaipur’s old city and feel the vibrancy of the markets on a Heritage walk.
- Retrace the history and hear the compelling stories of each town’s historic monuments in the company of expert guides
- Follow the legacy of block-printed textiles in Jaipur’s towns of Sanganer & Bagru
- Set off on a walking exploration of the vibrant markets and farming hamlets at Delwara &
- Explore the countryside around Jodhpur to learn of the Bishnoi’s environmental and conservation principles
- Encounter master artists and learn about the traditional arts of Jal Sanjhi, Miniature and Pichwai paintings
- Meet the heritage curator and founder of the hotel, Mr. Abhay Mangaldas, to view the House of MG Hotel’s Textile Gallery
- Gain an insight into the indigenous crafts of Jodhpur such as tie-dye and embroidery and attend a session addressing the restoration of old textiles
- Unveil the architectural marvels of the UNESCO listed city of Ahmedabad and Rani ki Vav at Patan
See more details below and use the REGISTER NOW button above to join us.