St. Olaf College | For the Hill and Beyond

Olseth Family Foundation

The Olseth Family

The International and Off-Campus Opportunity Fund, established by the Olseth Family Foundation, helps 20 Oles every year study abroad, including several on Environmental Science in Australia and New Zealand. Uniquely, it awards funds before students select programs to keep costs from restricting opportunities.

“[Professor Emeriti of Music] Charles Forsberg ’72 encouraged me to go on Global Semester,” shares Jon Olseth ’90, who directs the foundation’s giving with his sisters Karen ’87 and Cheryl ’84. “I was nervous — there was a risk in going abroad. But that invitation, and that incredible experience, changed my life. I came back to campus a better person.”

“Global study helps students reshape their worldview and be locally involved citizens,” says Jon. “For us, the question was how do we help more students participate?”Jon Olseth ’90

Jon’s parents, Nancy and Dale Olseth (a former St. Olaf Regent), established the foundation before they died to support causes and organizations important to their family, including St. Olaf.

“Global study helps students reshape their worldview and be locally involved citizens,” says Jon. “For us, the question was how do we help more students participate?”