Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will demonstrate:
- linguistic competence, including:
- language proficiency in listening, reading, writing and speaking at the ACTFL Intermediate level in Norwegian; and
- metalinguistic awareness of language as a system and of the ways in which language organizes thought processes and information and reflects culture.
- broad understanding of Nordic culture, including:
- ability to comprehend and analyze a wide range of texts taking into account audience, purpose, discourse conventions, and rhetorical elements as well as cultural, historical, intellectual, geographical contexts and analytical methodologies;
- ability to interpret trends in two or more contemporary Nordic societies informed by a knowledge of Nordic history; and
- ability to critically reflect on the socio-historical and political constructions of power, privilege and inequality and how these intersect with factors such as race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class, and ability.