May 2024

REFLECTIONS FROM THE INTERIM VICE PRESIDENT FOR EQUITY AND INCLUSION

Dear Community,

In our first edition of the DEI newsletter this year I shared that each member of our community should be respected, valued, and heard as our institution is a welcoming environment and strives for excellence to enhance our sense of belonging. As we close the academic year, I would like to share some highlights of our journey together while serving as your Interim Vice President for Equity and Inclusion for nearly two years.

Some of our work and moments that were meaningful to me include:

• Welcoming new students, faculty, and staff to campus each year
  • Working with the  search committees across disciplines for tenure track faculty positions. increasing our BIPOC tenure track faculty. In 2021–2022 we had 4 tenure track appointments of faculty with diverse backgrounds. In 2022–2023, we made 15 tenure track appointments and 8 represent domestic racial diversity and international scholars
  • Selecting students and mentors for our Posse cohorts and participating in the Posse retreats
    • Congratulations to Tim Schroer, Associate Dean of Students, and Amanda Robbins Butcher, Director of College Events, who will join the Posse family as mentors 
  • Establishing the Lavender Affinity Group for faculty and staff
  • Maintaining our BIPOC Affinity Group for faculty and staff 
  • Modifying the Bias Response process
  • Hosting the Virtual Event with Dr. La Francis Rodgers-Rose, St. Olaf’s first Black faculty member, in February 2023
  • Hosting the “New Era of Conductors” Event in February 2024 that featured a conversation with St. Olaf Band Conductor Henry Dorn, St. Olaf Jazz Conductor Joseph Jefferson, and St. Olaf Orchestra Conductor Chung Park, moderated by St. Olaf Choir Conductor Anton Armstrong ’78
  • Hosting a conversation with St. Olaf women in leadership during Women’s History Month each of the last two years. This year’s featured President Susan Rundell Singer, the first woman to lead St. Olaf
  • Executing the 2023 DEI Symposium with the theme “We Are Better Together”
  • Executing the 2024 Inclusive Excellence Summit with the theme “You Belong”
  • Creating the Inclusive Excellence Leadership Team 
  • Collaborating with colleagues and presenting at national conferences
    • Higher Learning Commission Conference “Linking theory, practice and data to advance equity and inclusion” with Jo Beld, Vice President for Mission, and Kelsey Thompson, Assistant Director of Assessment 
    • National Association of Chief Diversity Officers Conference, “Unlocking the power of collaboration: “How Chief Diversity Officers and Chief Financial Officers can build strong partnerships for success” Partnered with Carleton College
    • American Association of Colleges and Universities Conference “Creating data informed, cross-cutting strategies to advance student success” Partnered with Macalester College and Augustana University
  • Hosting multiple leadership sessions with Vice President for Student Life Hassel Morrison
  • Collaborating with Associate Professor of Sociology Ryan Sheppard on Experiences of Belonging and Support on the Hill: Interviews with BIPOC Faculty and Staff
  • And of course, working with each one of you and hearing about your experiences on and off the Hill.

It has been an incredible and memorable experience to serve as your Interim Vice President for Equity and Inclusion. As for our graduating seniors, I wish each of you the very best! You started your St. Olaf journey during a very challenging time — the pandemic — and you made it!

I wish everyone a wonderful end to the spring semester and a wonderful summer!

In 2021, President Biden expanded the name of AAPI Month to AA and NHPI Month to include recognizing Native Hawaiians.

Earlier this month our St. Olaf Asian Studies and Northfield Public Library came together to celebrate the Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month! The event kicked off with opening remarks by the Mayor of Northfield, Rhonda Pownell and President Rundell Singer. In addition, a talk was given from visiting assistant professor of Art and Art History, Mayumi Amada. This event included members of our community from Asian Conversations, Asian American Student Union, Celebrate South Asia, Chinese Student and Culture Communication Association, Hmong Ole Student Association, and Taiko Drumming. I would like to recognize and celebrate members of our community (students, faculty, staff, alumni) who identify as Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islanders.

St. Olaf College has had a 40-year relationship with East China Normal University in Shanghai, China. Students who have completed two years of Chinese language can spend the fall or spring semester in the Shanghai program or at one of the affiliated institutions. If you are interested, please contact Laurel Brook.

— Dr. Reginald H. Miles
Interim Vice President for Equity and Inclusion 

Meet Members of Our Community

Spotlight with Interim Vice President for Equity and Inclusion
Reginald Miles

From: Raynham, Massachusetts (45 minutes south of Boston)

Education:
B.A., English; Minor in Sociology | University of Massachusetts, Amherst
M.Ed., Higher and Postsecondary Education | Arizona State University
Ed.D., Educational Leadership | Northern Arizona University

When did you start your St. Olaf journey?
September 2020 as the Associate Dean of Admissions/Director of Multicultural Recruitment.

Why did you want to work at St. Olaf College?
After working in the liberal arts many years ago and then working at Research 1 institutions, I wanted to return to the liberal arts in college admissions. During the summer of 2020, I conducted a national search and met Chris George, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, Marie New, Director of Enrollment Operations, and the St. Olaf Admissions team. I knew this was where I wanted to be. I wanted to help high school students navigate the waters of college admissions.

What was it like working in the admission office and then joining the President’s Leadership Team (PLT)?
I loved working in the Admissions Office. It has incredible leadership with dynamic and talented individuals representing the institution. Recruiting students has always been and will continue to be a passion of mine. I had no idea what to expect when I joined PLT, but it has been such an honor and privilege working closely with the leaders of the institution who deeply care about St. Olaf College.

Describe your first day as Interim Vice President for Equity and Inclusion.
My first day was wonderful! We had a PLT session with an outside organization, and during this session I met some of my PLT colleagues for the first time. In addition, I had a one-on-one meeting with former president David Anderson who discussed goals and expectations and provided me with an overview of the institution.

St. Olaf College is about collaboration. Who do you collaborate the most with on PLT?
I collaborate with colleagues daily, but I collaborate the most with Provost and Dean of the College Marci Sortor and Vice President for Student Life Hassel Morrison.

Where were you professionally ten years ago?
In 2014 I was working at Arizona State University (ASU) as the Manager of Academic and Student Services. ASU is where I started my professional career. This was my last position at the institution after being employed there since 2007. In addition, I started the coursework for my doctoral program during that summer.

How did you get introduced to higher education?
During my undergraduate experience at UMass Amherst, I worked in the Office of Admissions as a student admissions representative and served as a university tour guide. My friends and family would say it was my calling. It was such a privilege showcasing my institution to prospective students and families, reviewing applications, and serving on search committees as a student! I have been blessed to be in this profession where our work is focused on empowering minds about the college admission experience.

What are some of your hobbies?
I love exploring the Caribbean as I am a big fan of cruises! I love beaches, and I am such a foodie. Quality time with friends and family is very important to me.

What is your definition of an inclusive community?
An inclusive community is a place where all members embrace and uplift each other. In addition, each member feels safe, respected, valued, and heard by being themselves and expressing their identities.

What is your personal tagline?
I have two: (1) Stay close (2) Actions speak louder than words.

No one knows that I…
… performed in parades at Walt Disney World as an Entertainment Cast Member! Also, I am a huge fan of Days of Our Lives. I have been watching the show daily for three decades, and I have met the cast many times.