Habits of Prague

Hola! Marhaba! Dobry Den! 

As we add another and final greeting to our global vocabulary, we are also settling into a new lifestyle and starting to create and continue some of our habits for our final month of Global. It has been a great experience to see how our group and those around us have created new habits and maintained old ones in each place we’ve stayed. After just three days in Prague, I have already started to notice these new habits in the people around me, as I start familiarizing myself with the spaces around me, too. Whether it’s the guys frantically running to catch the morning tram (and barely making it every morning), Katie leaving 30 minutes before everyone to get a latte before class, or Markian getting up early to do yoga on the balcony, everyone’s habits are forming. But habits are also being maintained: Gus saying “sick,” Gabriel filming his vertical videos, or Professor Sonnega straying off from the group during our walking tours with a coffee in hand. All of these are habits that make our group unique, just like each place we’ve been.

Global’s favorite tram #14, doing its best to get us where we need to be. Photo by Freya Gordon.

Taking the number 14 tram from Pod Jezerkou to Vodičkova was the first step in orienting myself to this new and beautiful city, something I have become more efficient at over the past three months. With the comfort I am gaining navigating the areas we frequent, I have also been more observant of the people around me, their habits, and how they compare to my own. Watching people out the tram window while listening to my “Discover Weekly” playlist, I see numerous methods of green transportation: scooters, bikes, skateboards, “foot bikes,” and people walking everywhere. This shows the value of the environment and goals of sustainability in Prague, and reminds me of our focus on environmental sustainability in Ecuador. I have always said I couldn’t live in a city because of the lack of nature and constant busyness; however, Prague is different from the other cities I’ve visited. It’s busy, but quiet. Architecturally pretty, but also full of greenery. And it is a city built for people. The public transportation is accessible and easy to navigate, the sidewalks are well-maintained, and there always seems to be a park within a five-minute walk.

The Charles Bridge from the Old Town Bridge Tower, a gothic style sandstone building full of rich history— not unlike a lot of the places we have seen in Prague. Photo by Freya Gordon.

On my walk to get groceries at Tesco Expres, I passed two parks full of people and their dogs. Once I arrived at the store, I saw everyone carrying reusable bags to carry their groceries home. As I was checking out, I realized that they charge for plastic bags. This was yet another example of the importance of habits, especially sustainable ones, in Prague. Another semester-long habit we have made is finding a consistent and cheap place for chocolate croissants close to our apartments, school, or hotel. After sampling a few different ones from B&B, Crustas, McCafe, and Costa Coffee, I have had a harder time settling into a habit— which is probably a good thing. I have found that although habits can be comfy, they can prevent you from exploring all of the possibilities and diversifying your experience. However, they have been a comfort on a busy semester-long program that is good at continuing to challenge you and push you to do things beyond your comfort zone. 

Adios! Ahalan! Ahoj!

The bustling pedestrian street in Wenceslas Square, two blocks away from where we attend class. Photo by Freya Gordon.