St. Olaf welcomes Class of 2019
Hailing from 493 high schools in 41 states and 29 countries, these new Oles include 146 domestic students of color and 65 international students. The class also includes 15 Davis United World College Scholars, 19 National Merit finalists, and a National Hispanic Scholar.
Thirteen members of the class were admitted last year and chose to defer, spending a gap year in places ranging from China to Sweden and doing things ranging from performing with Disney on Ice to training for a possible Olympic bid.
And while these numbers provide some insight into the incoming class, each new group of students is more than just a compilation of statistics and figures. The Class of 2019 also includes:
- One student who sang for Pope Benedict at the Vatican
- Another who can list every Bruce Springsteen studio album in order
- A student who can recite 115 digits of Pi
- Another who can recite the entirety of The Big Lebowski by heart
- A student who can solve a Rubik’s Cube in under 30 seconds
“I’m excited to welcome the Class of 2019 to campus,” says St. Olaf Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Chris George ’94. “Their passion, perspectives, and energy will enrich the conversations, activities, and learning that take place in our community.”
Watch a video of members of the Class of 2019 settling in on campus: