ABOUT THE CITATION APPEALS COMMITTEE
The Citation Appeals Committee works to support the St. Olaf College Parking Policy. By providing students, staff, and faculty the opportunity to appeal a citation, the committee aims to help clarify the Parking Policy, address any misunderstandings, and ultimately reach a fair resolution. The goal of parking enforcement is not punitive; rather, it seeks to bring about a positive change in behavior and promote responsible parking practices within the campus community.
All student and faculty/staff appeals will be reviewed by an appeals committee, consisting of five (5) members. The appeals committee is comprised of four (4) staff members and one (1) student.
APPEALING A CITATION
An appeal of a citation issued under parking policy regulations must be filed within seven (7) days from the date the citation was issued or the right to appeal will be forfeited and the amount of the fine billed. To appeal a citation, complete this form with all required information.
The following constitute valid reasons for an appeal:
- The citation was incorrectly issued (officer error). It is strongly suggested that photos demonstrating proof are submitted for this type of appeal.
- Certain emergencies or extenuating circumstances. Please note, the expectation is that Public Safety is contacted in the event of any emergency.
The appeals committee may consider past parking history as needed to inform their decision-making process.
When appealing a citation, there are three possible outcomes:
- The citation appeals committee can void a citation, meaning the citation is rendered null and void, and no fee payment is required.
- The citation appeals committee can turn a citation into a warning, meaning no fee payment is required.
- The citation appeals committee can uphold a citation. If the citation is upheld, fee payment is required. The citation appeals committee cannot reduce the price of a citation that has been issued. However, the committee can opt to uphold the citation as a lesser offense if deemed appropriate.
The appellant will be notified by email of the committee’s decision within fourteen (14) days.* The appeal committee’s decision is final and there are no further appeal options.
Public Safety staff cannot void a citation once it has been written except for a legitimate visitor. Visitors do not pay for parking at St. Olaf. If you are a visitor and received a citation, please send an email to email@example.com with your citation number and license plate number so we can update our records.
*Please note that response times may be delayed during breaks in academic instruction, including Fall, Thanksgiving, Winter, Interim, Spring, and Summer breaks.