Each year 10 exceptional student leaders are selected to serve as an International Student Counselor. The International Student Counselors are dedicated to enhancing the international student experience at St. Olaf. International Student Counselors facilitate International Student Orientation and are a valued resource to incoming international students. Additionally, International Student Counselors provide interactive programs throughout the academic year to enhance internationalization on campus.
Meet the 2015-2016 International Student Counselors here!
Being an International Student Counselor
- Serve as an International Student Counselor for the entire academic year.
- Be present at all training sessions, International Student Orientation program, International Student Banquet and other required events.
- Attend Bi-weekly meeting with the International Student Counselors and International Student Coordinator.
- Minimum of 2.25 cumulative GPA.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of St. Olaf campus resources.
- Reliable, responsible, flexible, positive, willingness to help, and strong communication skills.
- Support and encourage all International Student Life staff members.
- Support and encourage all new international students throughout their transition to campus.
- Serve as a leader and role model to all international students.
- Establish and maintain open communication with International Student Coordinator
- Assist in the development and implementation of International Student Life programs and events.
- Communicate effectively with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Lead a small group of new international students and acquaint them with U.S culture, campus resources, and other activities and opportunities available at St. Olaf.
- Reach out to assigned new international students over the summer.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Required Dates (2015-2016)
- Spring Training (1-2 days for an hour during late April)
- International Student Orientation Training (Move-in is August 29, 2015)
- International Student Orientation Program (September 1-4, 2015)
- International Student Banquet/Celebration (Late April or early May)
International Student Counselor Application Process
- Complete and submit the International Student Counselor Application.
Applications are closed for 2015-2016. Check back next Spring for details on 2016-2017 applications!
- Set up an interview with the Multicultural Affairs office email@example.com or 507-786-3060, as soon as your application has been submitted.
- Interviews will be held approximately mid March.
- Applicants will be notified of their status before Spring Break.
- If you have any questions please contact Emiko Oonk at firstname.lastname@example.org (BC109)