Professor Gordon Marino earned his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, M.A. from the University of Pennsylvania, and B.A. from Columbia University. His areas of specialization include History of Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion, and Kierkegaard. For more information on the philosophy and seminar courses lead by Professor Marino, please visit his St. Olaf faculty webpage or the official course catalogue.
Professor Marino is the author of Kierkegaard in the Present Age and co-editor of The Cambridge Companion to Kierkegaard. His articles have appeared in the Atlantic Monthly, New York Times Magazine, Wall Street Journal, American Poetry Review, and many other periodicals. Professor Marino is also the Curator of the Hong Kierkegaard Library.
An abbreviated list of Gordon Marino’s curriculum vitae can be found online, and a list of his publications can be found below. Contact information can be found on the Hong Kierkegaard Library Directory webpage.
The Existentialist’s Survival Guide: How to Live Authentically in an Inauthentic Age.
Click on the below covers to learn more!
St. Olaf College: Kierkegaard & Existentialism; Law, Politics, and Morality; Making of the Modern Mind; Ethics and the Good Life; Freud & the Study of Human Behavior; Senior Seminar on Nietzsche; Sports and Ethics; Philosophy of Sport; Race and Sport
University of Florida: Sport ethics (graduate level); Ethical Issues in Sport (undergraduate); Medical Ethics (Shands)
Florida State University: Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, and Freud and the problem of self-deception (Graduate Seminar)
Links to the talk shows, radio programs, and other broadcasts featuring Professor Gordon Marino can be found in the collapsible list below.
- Featured on BBC Wales – Raise your Game
- Regular contributor to The Huffingpost Post
- Invited guest:
- The Sports Factor — Radio National, Australia
- Minnesota Public Radio
- KFAN Sports Radio, Minneapolis, MN
- CW 11 (WPIX) News at Ten, New York City
- Mickey Hiter, “Athletes Parents Show” 104.5 FM
- Subject of Profile:
- Virginia Public Broadcasting
- Minnesota Monthly
- St. Paul Pioneer Press
- Interview with Matthew Hennessey, Carnegie Council on the topic “Ethics from Conscience and Example, not PhDs”
- Interview with over 20 nationally syndicated radio programs including Kerri Miller, MPR News “The Thread” on Gordon Marino’s The Existentialist’s Survival Guide
Articles in the Public Sphere
An online archive of Professor Gordon Marino’s articles published by internationally prominent news sources can be found in the collapsible list below.
- New York Times Magazine and the New York Times:
- The Upside of Envy
- The Long Conversation
- What’s the Use of Regret
- The Haunted Heart
- ANXIETY; Kierkegaard, Doctor of Dread
- A Life Beyond ‘Do What You Love’
- Kierkegaard at 200
- Try a Little Tenderness
- The Danish Doctor of Dread
- Kierkegaard on the Couch: The distinction between psychological and spiritual disorders
- Counting the ‘Blessings’ of Insomnia
- Atlantic Monthly:
- Making Faith Possible
- Washington Post:
- Huffington Post:
- Separating the Moral from the Practical Argument Against Torture
- Sure race is an issue — but not for me
- Where There Is a Problem There is a Workshop…or a Camp
- International Herald Tribune:
- The Havoc Behind the Eyes
- Jerusalem Post:
- St. Petersburg Times/The Tampa Bay Times:
- Justice must still justify the means
- Christian Century: