Former CURATOR & PROFESSOR Emeritus GORDON MARINO
Gordon Marino earned his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, M.A. from the University of Pennsylvania, and B.A. from Columbia University. His areas of specialization include History of Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion, and Kierkegaard. For 27 years he taught philosophy and related courses as a professor at St. Olaf College and was the curator of the Kierkegaard Library until his retirement in August 2022.
In 2018, Marino published his most recent book, The Existentialist’s Survival Guide. He has authored and co-authored numerous works, including Kierkegaard in the Present Age. His articles have appeared in internationally-acclaimed news sources and periodicals such as the Atlantic Monthly, New York Times Magazine, Wall Street Journal, and the American Poetry Review.
An abbreviated list of Marino’s curriculum vitae can be found online, and a list of his various publications can be found below.
The Existentialist’s Survival Guide: How to Live Authentically in an Inauthentic Age
Click on the covers to learn more!
St. Olaf College: Kierkegaard & Existentialism; Law, Politics, and Morality; Making of the Modern Mind; Ethics and the Good Life; Freud & the Study of Human Behavior; Senior Seminar on Nietzsche; Sports and Ethics; Philosophy of Sport; Race and Sport
University of Florida: Sport ethics (graduate level); Ethical Issues in Sport (undergraduate); Medical Ethics (Shands)
Florida State University: Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, and Freud and the problem of self-deception (Graduate Seminar)
Marino has been featured in numerous talk shows, radio programs, and other broadcasts.
- Featured on BBC Wales – Raise your Game
- Regular contributor to The Huffingpost Post
- Invited guest:
- The Sports Factor — Radio National, Australia
- Minnesota Public Radio
- KFAN Sports Radio, Minneapolis, MN
- CW 11 (WPIX) News at Ten, New York City
- Mickey Hiter, “Athletes Parents Show” 104.5 FM
- Subject of Profile:
- Virginia Public Broadcasting
- Minnesota Monthly
- St. Paul Pioneer Press
- Interview with Matthew Hennessey, Carnegie Council on the topic “Ethics from Conscience and Example, not PhDs”
- Interview with over 20 nationally syndicated radio programs including Kerri Miller, MPR News “The Thread” on Gordon Marino’s The Existentialist’s Survival Guide
Internationally prominent news sources have published dozens of articles written by Marino.
New York Times Magazine and the New York Times:
- The Upside of Envy
- The Long Conversation
- What’s the Use of Regret
- The Haunted Heart
- ANXIETY; Kierkegaard, Doctor of Dread
- A Life Beyond ‘Do What You Love’
- Kierkegaard at 200
- Try a Little Tenderness
- The Danish Doctor of Dread
- Kierkegaard on the Couch: The distinction between psychological and spiritual disorders
- Counting the ‘Blessings’ of Insomnia
- Making Faith Possible
- Separating the Moral from the Practical Argument Against Torture
- Sure race is an issue — but not for me
- Where There Is a Problem There is a Workshop…or a Camp
International Herald Tribune:
- The Havoc Behind the Eyes
St. Petersburg Times/The Tampa Bay Times:
- Justice must still justify the means
The Boston Globe:
Real Clear Books:
National Endowment for the Humanities:
Albert Camus Radio: 20 Questions with Dr. Gordon Marino
Seize the Moment Podcast: The Existentialist’s Dilemna – How Do We Survive Anxiety?
Seize the Moment Podcast: The Art of Listening: Improving Relationships Through Dialogue
MT Podcast: Boxing and Existentialism w/ Gordon Marino
Bicoastal Banter w/ Giles and the Ginge: Discussing philosophy, boxing & UFO sightings
Different Brains: Anxiety & Existentialism
Anselm House St Paul Study Center: Thinking with Kierkegaard about Anxiety and Depression
Two Philosphers, One Conversation: If This Isn’t Nice, I Don’t Know What Is