Social Security Number Information

  • Unless you’re a non-citizen who explicitly wants to work in the USA, it’s unlikely that you’d need a Social Security number. Although some companies may ask for a Social Security number, you generally aren’t required to give them one if you are a non-citizen.
  • There are many benefits that non-citizens can receive without a Social Security number, such as: driver’s licenses, health insurance, school registration, or subsidized housing.
  • For Kierkegaard Scholars, the only way to get a Social Security card is to appear in a Social Security office in the US.
  • You will also need a completed Application For A Social Security Number (Form SS-5, available on their website), two original documents proving your age, status, and identity.
  • J-1 scholars will need to provide a DS-2019 form, the Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status and a letter from the Library (your sponsor) authorizing your employment.
  • F-1 scholars will need to provide an I-20 form, the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status

This page provides a brief overview, but more information can be found on this document, at the official website, or by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.