The Finance Fast-Track is an opportunity for incoming students to access an accelerated course progression in order to prepare for certain competitive careers in finance. Accepted students will take recommended finance and accounting courses in their first two years at St. Olaf. Students participating in this opportunity must eventually choose an economics major with an area of emphasis in finance. (Adding a second major or concentration is permitted.) In addition to the course requirements (see below), the Piper Center for Vocation and Career will organize and lead other activities for Fast-Track students to help them prepare for these finance careers.
Listed below are course requirements for the Finance Fast-Track. Students take:
- Semester 1 (fall of the first year): Principles of Economics (ECON 121) or equivalent (AP credit, etc.)
- Semester 2 (spring of the first year): Principles of Accounting (MGMT 225).
- During either semester 3 or 4: Managerial Accounting (MGMT 237).
- Semester 3 (fall of the second year): Corporate Finance (MGMT 281).
- Semester 4 (spring of the second year): Investments (MGMT 380).
- During either Semester 2 or 3: Introduction to Econometrics (ECON 260). This course, or another course in statistics, has to be completed before Investments.
Students are encouraged to take the other two economics core courses – ECON 261 Macroeconomic Theory and ECON 262 Microeconomic Theory – as soon as possible in their program of study.
To apply for Finance Fast-Track, fill out and submit the application at this link. Note that enrollment is limited and admission is competitive.
Application deadlines are:
Application: February 14, 2020
Notification: February 21, 2020
Application: March 23, 2020
Notification: March 30, 2020
Application: April 20, 2020
Notification: April 27, 2020
Application: May 4, 2020
Notification: May 11, 2020