St. Olaf College | New Students

An intro and thoughts from the Associate Director of Alumni & Parent Relations

Welcome to Northfield, Home of Cows, Colleges & Contentment…..

That was the sign I saw coming into town on the day of my interview at St. Olaf College. I had moved to Minnesota with my new husband three months prior from San Francisco, CA. The only thing I knew about the school was a vague reference to Rose Nylund from the Golden Girls sitcom, and I had seen a Christmas special featuring St. Olaf’s musical organizations on PBS a few years prior. I knew this school and small town community was a longshot fit for my metropolitan lifestyle, but I needed a job. Boy, was I wrong. I spent the afternoon on campus observing and met my future boss for lunch downtown. I fell in love instantly—the buildings, the people, the charm. I called my husband on the ride back up Hwy 19 and informed him that we were moving to Northfield.

Community is what you seek. At St. Olaf, your student will discover a community that is ready to challenge, engage and transform them. You, as their parents, are now also a part of the St. Olaf community. We ask you to encourage your student to seek our ‘helpers’ on campus and we want you to feel empowered to reach out to us.

I write not only as the Associate Director of Alumni & Parent Relations, but also as your campus ally and resource. We are working on a myriad of ways to keep you informed and connected to life at St. Olaf. We are bolstering our parent communication plan for the year ahead, and would also like to invite you to participate in the Common Read Program. It engages students in intentional ways of thinking across disciplines, experiences, and strengths. This year, alumni, parents and friends along with students will be reading and discussing Acts of Faith: The Story of an American Muslim, the Struggle for the Soul of a Generation by Eboo Patel.

The transition to college is going to be especially challenging this year for everyone — not just because your student is in college, but because of current circumstances related to COVID-19. We won’t let this lack of physical connection lead to your being disconnected from the Hill. You are now part of the St. Olaf family, and we are here for you as well as for your incoming student. I didn’t attend St. Olaf, but I consider myself an Ole. I wasn’t born in Minnesota, but I am proud to raise my family here. You may not be able to feel the winter wind blow between our limestone buildings, but know that this campus cares deeply about your student and about our relationship with you. So welcome to St. Olaf College and welcome to Northfield … City of Cows, Colleges and Contentment!

Sincerely,
Stacey Longwich
Associate Director of Alumni and Parent Relations