In conjunction with institutions around the country, St. Olaf College is pleased to participate in the National First-Generation College Celebration. Join us for events during the week of November 8-12, 2021 to learn more about first-generation student experiences and celebrate their achievements at St. Olaf.
Monday, November 8
(All Week) Chapel Hallway Display with First-Gen Stories
- Complete the survey to share reflections of what it means to you to be a first-generation college student. First 100 entries will receive an I’m First t-shirt! (Students, faculty, and staff are welcome to participate.) Visit the display in the Chapel hallway.
10:10am-10:30am | First-Gen Chapel Speakers: Arroyo Garcia-Torres and Brent Sykes share their stories as first-generation college students.
- Location: Boe Chapel or via live stream
2:00pm-3:00pm | A National Celebration Centering First-gen Voices
- Register for free.
- A panel of first-gen students and graduates share insight into their experience, moderated by Dr. Quintin B. Bullock, President, Community College of Allegheny County located in Allegheny Pennsylvania. It is through our understanding of the first-gen identity and experiences we may better align institution resources and support offerings to meet the unique needs of first-gen students.
Tuesday, November 9
10:00am-1:00pm and 5:00pm-7:00pm | Tabling Outside of the Cage
- Share reflections of what it means to be first-gen. Pick up an “I Support First-Gen” door dec or “I’m First” t-shirt or button to wear during the week.
Wednesday, November 10
4:45pm-6:00pm | TRIO McNair Graduate School Panel of First-Generation St. Olaf Faculty
- Panelists: Dr. Jaime Davila, Dr. Cassandra Joiner,Dr. Norman Lee, Dr. Jeremy Loebach. Dinner provided (free).
- RSVP by Nov. 8 by completing this brief survey.
- Location: TOH 280 and virtually via Zoom.
Thursday, November 11
Wear your “I’m First” t-shirt or button on Thursday or throughout the week to show you are first-gen proud and spark conversations around what it means to you to be first-generation.
Friday, November 12
5:00pm-7:00pm | First-Gen Stories/Peer Dinner in East Lantern
- Dinner provided. RSVP required to email@example.com by Nov. 8. Limited spots.
- This free event is designed to promote conversations between first-generation students at St. Olaf and Carleton as they share their stories being the first in their family to pursue a four-year college degree.
Share Your First Gen Pride
Download a dorm room sign, Zoom background, Instagram stickers, etc. to share your pride and support of First-Generation college students.View ➤
St. Olaf College is proudly home to many students, staff, and faculty who were the first in their families to attend or complete college.Read ➤
Share Your Story
An opportunity for First-Generation college students, faculty, and staff at St. Olaf to share their story.Share ➤
A list of resources for First-Generation college students.Learn More ➤