In conjunction with institutions around the country, St. Olaf College is pleased to participate in the National First-Generation College Celebration. Join us for events during the week of November 7-11, 2022 to learn more about first-generation student experiences and celebrate their achievements at St. Olaf.
(All Week) First-Gen Stories Shared via Social Media #CelebrateFirstGen
- Complete the survey to share reflections of what it means to you to be a first-generation college student. First 100 entries will receive an I’m First t-shirt! (Students, faculty, and staff are welcome to participate.)
- Wear your “I’m First” t-shirt or button throughout the week to show you are first-gen proud and spark conversations around what it means to you to be first-generation.
- Complete the First-Gen Challenge by participating in the week’s events to receive a $20 gift card!
Monday, November 7
10:10am-10:30am | First-Gen Chapel Speakers: Hauseng Lor ’24 and Chang Dao Vang ’11 share their experiences as first-generation college students.
- Location: Boe Chapel or via live stream
4pm-5pm | Biden Loan Forgiveness Program Information Session – Virtual
- Steve Lindley, Director of Financial Aid, will be hosting via zoom an information session to discuss the Biden Loan Forgiveness Program.
Tuesday, November 8
12:00pm-1:00pm | First-Gen College Celebration Affinity Lunch & Learn – BC Sun Ballroom
- Hors D’oeuvres provided and an opportunity for you to meet and mingle with other First-Generation college students, faculty, and staff at St. Olaf College.
- Please fill out this form if you would like to attend.
4:00pm-5:00pm | Piper Center Open House for First-Generation College Students – TOH 270
- Stop by anytime to enjoy refreshments and conversation with peers, Piper Center coaches, and peer advisors about your interests, strengths, and career questions!
Wednesday, November 9
5:30pm-6:45pm | TRIO McNair Graduate School Panel of First-Generation Alumni – TOH 210
- Dinner provided (free). Open to all students!
- RSVP by Nov. 8 by completing this form.
Thursday, November 10
11:30am-12:30pm | STEM Panel of First-Gen Alumni – Virtual
Friday, November 11
5pm-7pm | Tabling Outside of the Cage
- Stop by to share reflections of what it means to be first-gen and take a chance at winning a prize by playing “Spin The Wheel”. There will be “I’m First” t-shirts and “I Support First-Gen” stickers available until they run out.
Thursday, November 17
11:25am-12:25pm | Taylor Center Out to Lunch Series: What does belonging mean to me?
- This event will look at belonging through the prism of being First Gen and LGBTQIA+ with some intersectional reflections from our two guest panelists. If you are planning to attend and would like to have lunch at the event – please RSVP HERE: OUTTOLUNCH
Events are sponsored by:
TRIO McNair Scholars Program, TRIO Student Support Services and SSS Board of Leaders, TRIO SSS for Students with Disabilities, Taylor Center for Equity & Inclusion, Vice President for Equity & Inclusion, Piper Center for Vocation & Career, and the Center for Advising & Academic Support.
Share Your First Gen Pride
Download a dorm room sign, Zoom background, Instagram stickers, etc. to share your pride and support of First-Generation college students.View ➤
St. Olaf College is proudly home to many students, staff, and faculty who were the first in their families to attend or complete college.Read ➤
Share Your Story
An opportunity for First-Generation college students, faculty, and staff at St. Olaf to share their story.Share ➤
A list of resources for First-Generation college students.Learn More ➤