English Proficiency Requirement
If English is not your first/home language nor your primary language of instruction, we require a minimum level of English proficiency. Students are required to submit official results that meet one of these requirements:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Minimum score of 90 (IBT)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Minimum band is 6.5
- Duolingo: Minimum score of 110
- Minnesota English Language Program (MELP): Successful completion of all required Level 4: High-Advanced ESL classes.
SAT or ACT (Optional)
The SAT and ACT are now optional. If you choose to submit test scores, the SAT-I (Scholastic Aptitude Test) or ACT (American College Test) should be taken no later than January and you should request that the results be mailed directly to St. Olaf. St. Olaf’s SAT code is 6638 and ACT code is 2150. In all cases, test scores are not the sole determinant for admission. The Admissions Committee evaluates both academic records and test scores. Information regarding these tests as well as educational advising may be obtained at the nearest EducationUSA office, the U.S. Department of State’s Educational Advising Center.
Official transcripts (and diploma, if you have finished secondary schooling) from at least the past four years of your studies must be submitted for evaluation before an admissions decision can be made. If admitted, international students who have completed up to two years of university study may apply for credit for previously completed work, if such work is equivalent to courses offered at St. Olaf. The St. Olaf College Registrar will evaluate academic work completed elsewhere, and the decisions of the Registrar to accept or deny transfer credit is final.
Transcripts must comply with all of the following criteria to be considered as official documentation of previous academic work:
- Transcripts must be written in the language used for instruction.
- An English translation must accompany all transcripts not in English. If the school does not provide an official English translation, you may prepare the translation yourself, but someone who is fluent in both languages, such as an English teacher or a certified translator, must certify it.
- Transcripts must have an original and legible seal or stamp of the school that issued the document. A photocopy of the seal or stamp is not acceptable.
- If you have taken an external examination (O-levels, A-levels, ICSE, HSC, ISC, I.B. exams, etc.), the authorities administering the examination, e.g., The Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations or Hong Kong Examination Authority, must certify your exam results.
Note: If you have only one original copy of your transcript(s), you may send a certified photocopy of the original document. The school that issued the original transcript must certify the photocopy.
High School Credits Applied to College
St. Olaf College accepts credit earned through the College Board Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate exams, and Cambridge A Levels upon receipt of official documentation. With certain restrictions, students who score 4-5 on their AP exams or 5-7 on their Higher Level IB exams may receive credit and/or advanced placement. You can find more information here.