Students with Disabilities

Traveling with a disability can pose unique opportunities and challenges.  IOS can work with students with disabilities as they prepare for their time off-campus – academically and personally.  Know that there are many resources for you on and off campus as you prepare for, attend, and return from your program off campus.  As you consider studying off campus, be sure to find out as much as you can about your host culture/community and how they view disability.  We strongly encourage you to do your research, talk to your support networks, talk to IOS and Disability & Access in order to get more information about disability in the places you are hoping to travel.

Students can receive accommodations during off-campus study, but options may be different or more limited than they are at St. Olaf.

Complete the IOS Access Abroad – Student Accommodation Request Form

Return the completed form to the IOS Office, Tomson 380.

#OlesOffCampus!  My Identity Abroad Story:

“I got the amazing opportunity to study abroad in Asia for J-term, however, my family and I were a little concerned about how my disability might factor into my success abroad. I met with my professors and the DAC before we left which was a great help in planning my trip. Having my professors know about my medical conditions and know how to best aid me in fully participating in activities really made everything easier, I didn’t have to worry so much about whether or not I could do what everyone else was doing. My trip was an amazing experience and I’m so thankful for everyone who came together to make it possible for me.”
– Rin Culhane ’21, Asian Con (Interim)

“The prospect of traveling around the world with Crohn’s disease was terrifying and virtually uncharted; in the weeks before I left, I remember making lists of all the things that could possibly go wrong and wondering whether a semester-long program was right for me. Turns out, Global semester was right — and the most wonderful fit! Working diligently with the IOS staff and field supervisors before I left and while I traveled helped to ensure that I remained healthy, stayed happy, and could not only participate but succeed in the transformative, impactful experience — alongside all of my peers! — that is study abroad.”
– Maren Miller ’18, Global Semester and Historical Geography and the Bible (Interim)

St. Olaf Student Support Staff

If you are thinking about or planning to study off campus – and you already receive accommodations through the Disability and Access Office – please meet with your Access Specialist to determine any accommodation needs specific to your off-campus study program. 

Disability & Access – Accommodations for Study Abroad
Disability & Access – Disabilities and International Study Abroad

In addition to your Access Specialist, you should work with the Director of the  International and Off-Campus Studies Office, Jodi Malmgren, malmgren@stolaf.edu,  at 507-786-3375 or by stopping by the IOS office in Tomson 380.

We Want Your Feedback!

We recognize that you came to this website looking for information and resources. If there is something specific you were looking for but didn’t find, please let us know using the feedback form link below. We will do our best to help you find resources that meet your needs and add them here as well. We also welcome suggestions for including resources that you have found on your own that we have missed.