Music Education

B.M. Music Education Degree Information

The Bachelor of Music in Music Education is a professional music licensure program for students who aspire to teach in a K-12 pubic school setting. The degree offers two paths to licensure in the state of Minnesota: Music K-12 with specialization in Vocal & General Music, or Music K-12 with specialization in Instrumental & General Music. Students elect to complete their student teaching practicum either in the eighth semester (spring of Senior year) or a ninth semester. If desired, graduates of our program are able to seek licensure in other states. For more information on licensure, please contact Nancy Veverka in the Education Department.


Bachelor of Music in K-12 Instrumental/General Music Education

Bachelor of Music in K-12 Vocal/General Music Education


Prerequisites to Entrance into the Bachelor of Music in Music Education (Vocal & Instrumental):
Students seeking entrance into the Bachelor of Music in Music Education degree program must FIRST be accepted into the Bachelor of Arts in Music Degree. Please refer to requirements below:

    • GPA of 2.7 or higher

    • Enrollment in EDUC 295: Foundations of Education prior to, or during, the semester you plan on auditioning for the program.

Click here for more information about entrance into the Music Ed major.

The Music Education Degree is one of the most complex and intensive programs offered at St. Olaf College. Ask for help in planning your program from the faculty members listed below.  Music education planning forms are available from Dr. Garner.

Music Education Faculty

Dale Kruse

Dale Kruse (he, him, his)

Associate Professor of Practice in Music – Voice

Tweet Hall of Music 107

Office Hours: by appointment

View Profile →