Pre-College Transfer Credit

Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Cambridge A Level (CAL)

2019 AP Policy

2019 IB Policy

2019 CAL Policy

For students who entered St. Olaf during an earlier academic year,
please see the AP/IB/CAL lists for previous terms.

How to Submit AP Scores 

If a student requests that their official AP scores be sent to St. Olaf by completing the appropriate section in My AP on the College Board website, St. Olaf will receive the scores in early July.  After scores are released, visit College Board to see whether yours were sent to us or to make additional requests.  The code for St. Olaf is 6638.  Please email us if you are still not sure if we received your exam information.

How to Submit IB Scores

IB scores are received in July and January if the student requested that their scores be sent to St. Olaf.

Please visit this IB site for information on submitting IB scores.

Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO), College in the Schools (CIS), and
Dual Enrollment Credits

Courses must be from a regionally accredited institution and completed with a grade of C or above.  An official transcript that is either delivered to St. Olaf in a sealed envelope or sent electronically directly from the awarding institution is required.  Duplicate credit from AP/IB/CAL and PSEO/CIS/Dual Enrollment will not be awarded.  Certain courses such as math below calculus  are not accepted.  Contact us for specific questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the maximum amount of pre-college credit that can be awarded?
  2. How can I determine if St. Olaf credit will be awarded for my AP, IB, or CAL exams?
  3. Will my pre-college credit fulfill St. Olaf General Education Requirements?
  4. How long should I expect to wait for pre-college credit to reflect on my academic record?
  5. What if my pre-college credit does not show up in my SIS record?
  6. Can I have the scores sent to St. Olaf later?
  7. Will I be able to register for classes even if my pre-college credit has not yet been posted?
  8. Does St. Olaf accept CLEP credit?
  9. Will my pre-college transfer credits affect my St. Olaf GPA?
  10. What happens if I have more pre-college transfer credits than the policy allows?

Note that St. Olaf uses a credit system in which 1 St. Olaf credit=4 semester credits or 5.5 quarter credits.  We award a maximum of 6 St. Olaf credits from all pre-college credits submitted by matriculating first-year students. The Registrar first awards credits for any AP/IB/CAL exams that qualify. If a student has not received the maximum pre-college transfer credits from those exams alone, then the Registrar will divide the total number of earned PSEO/CIS credits by 4 or 5.5 accordingly to equal a maximum of 4 St. Olaf credits, not to exceed 6 total pre-college transfer credits. 

2.   How can I determine if St. Olaf credit will be awarded for my AP, IB or CAL exams?

See the St. Olaf College policies listed above for AP, IB, and CAL exams.  Please note that this list is updated each academic year, typically in the summer.  The year of a student’s matriculation is the policy year they will follow.

3.   Will my pre-college credit fulfill St. Olaf General Education requirements?

Up to 6 General Education requirements can be fulfilled with pre-college transfer credit. See the college policies above for how AP/IB/CAL scores will fulfill GE’s.  PSEO/CIS will fulfill GE’s as applicable.  Contact us for specific questions.

4.   How long should I expect to wait for pre-college credit to reflect on my academic record?

Once we receive scores for AP, IB, and CAL in early July, you should allow 4 – 6 weeks. You can begin checking the SIS toward the end of July.  AP, IB, and CAL credits are entered first.  PSEO and CIS credits are entered next.

5.   What if my pre-college credit does not show up in my SIS record?

If by early August your credits have not been posted, contact us to ask if we received your information.

6.   Can I have my scores or transcripts sent to St. Olaf later?

Yes, you may always send pre-college scores or transcripts later, but sooner is better in order to plan your schedule accurately.

7.   Will I be able to register for classes even if my pre-college credit has not yet been posted?

Yes. We post scores to student records as soon as possible. If a score has not been posted yet, you will want to
        inform your academic advisor and placement coordinators.

8.    Does St. Olaf accept CLEP credit?

St. Olaf does not accept CLEP.

9.   Will my pre-college transfer credits affect my St. Olaf GPA?

The grades earned at other institutions are entered on the student’s St. Olaf record but do not count toward the St. Olaf GPA.

10.    What happens if I have more pre-college transfer credits than the policy allows?

Additional AP, IB, CAL exams with qualifying scores and PSEO, CIS, or Dual Enrollment courses can be posted to the student’s record, but no additional credit will be awarded.