St. Olaf uses a credit system in which 1.0 St. Olaf credit equals 4 semester credits or 5.5 quarter credits. We award a maximum of 6 St. Olaf credits from all pre-college credits submitted by new students.
The Registrar first awards credits for any AP/IB/CAL exams that qualify. If a student has not received the maximum pre-college transfer credits from those exams alone, then the Registrar will divide the total number of earned PSEO/CIS semester or quarter credits by 4 or 5.5 accordingly to equal a maximum of 4 St. Olaf credits, not to exceed 6 total pre-college transfer credits.
Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Cambridge A Level (CAL)
For students who entered St. Olaf during an earlier academic year, please see the AP/IB/CAL equivalency guides for previous terms.
- How to Submit AP Scores
- If a student requests that their official AP scores be sent to St. Olaf by completing the appropriate section in My AP on the College Board website, St. Olaf will receive the scores in early July. After scores are released, visit College Board to see whether yours were sent to us and to make additional requests. The code for St. Olaf is 6638. Please email us if you are still not sure if we received your exam information.
- How to Submit IB Scores
- IB scores are received in July and January if the student requested that their scores be sent to St. Olaf. Please visit this IB site for information on submitting IB scores.
Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO), College in the Schools (CIS), and Other Dual Enrollment Credits
PSEO courses are taught by a college/university faculty member on the campus of a regionally accredited college or university under an established post-secondary program. CIS courses are taught at the high school through a regionally accredited college/university. In order for courses from these types of programs to count for St. Olaf credit, they must be completed with a grade of C or above. An official transcript that is either delivered to St. Olaf in a sealed envelope or sent electronically directly from the awarding institution (the college/university, not the high school) is required. Duplicate credit from AP/IB/CAL and PSEO/CIS/Dual Enrollment will not be awarded. Contact us for specific questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the maximum amount of pre-college credit that can be awarded?
- How can I determine if St. Olaf credit will be awarded for my AP, IB, or CAL exams?
- Will my pre-college credit fulfill St. Olaf General Education Requirements?
- How long should I expect to wait for pre-college credit to reflect on my academic record?
- What if my pre-college credit does not show up in my SIS record?
- Can I have the scores sent to St. Olaf later?
- Will I be able to register for classes even if my pre-college credit has not yet been posted?
- Does St. Olaf accept CLEP credit?
- Will my pre-college transfer credits affect my St. Olaf GPA?
- What happens if I have more pre-college transfer credits than the policy allows?
- Are there any changes to how my scores/credits from spring 2020 will transfer due to COVID-19?
Note that St. Olaf uses a credit system in which 1.0 St. Olaf credit equals 4 semester credits or 5.5 quarter credits. A minimum of 35 credits is required to graduate.
- First-year = 0-7.75 completed credits
- Sophomore = 8-16.75
- Junior = 17-24.75
- Senior = 25+
We award a maximum of 6 St. Olaf credits from all pre-college credits submitted by matriculating first-year students. The Registrar first awards credits for any AP/IB/CAL exams that qualify. If a student has not received the maximum pre-college transfer credits from those exams alone, then the Registrar will divide the total number of earned PSEO/CIS semester or quarter credits by 4 or 5.5 accordingly to equal a maximum of 4 St. Olaf credits, not to exceed 6 total pre-college transfer credits.
If a student has AP/IB credits only, the maximum is 6 credits. If a student has PSEO/CIS credits only, the maximum is 4 credits.
See the equivalency guides listed above for AP, IB, and CAL exams. Please note that these are updated each academic year, typically in the summer. The year of a student’s matriculation is the policy year they will follow.
Up to 6 General Education requirements can be fulfilled with pre-college transfer credit. See the equivalency guides at the top of this page for how AP/IB/CAL scores will fulfill GE’s. PSEO/CIS will fulfill GE’s as applicable. Math courses below calculus will transfer for credit but will not fulfill the AQR general education requirement. Contact us for specific questions.
Once we receive scores for AP, IB, and CAL in early July, you should allow 4 – 6 weeks. You can begin checking the SIS toward the end of July. AP, IB, and CAL credits are entered first. PSEO, CIS, and Dual Enrollment credits are entered next.
If by early August your credits have not been posted, contact us to ask if we received your information.
Yes, you may always send pre-college scores or transcripts later, but sooner is better in order to plan your schedule accurately.
Yes. We post scores to student records as soon as possible. If a score has not been posted yet, you will want to inform your academic advisor and placement coordinators.
St. Olaf does not accept CLEP.
The grades earned at other institutions are entered on the student’s St. Olaf record but do not count toward the St. Olaf GPA.
Additional AP, IB, CAL exams with qualifying scores and PSEO, CIS, or Dual Enrollment courses can be posted to the student’s record, but no additional credit will be awarded. There is no need to pick and choose which additional scores/courses receive credit because transfer credit is awarded as a lump sum.
- St Olaf will accept S and P grades for any spring 2020 transfer coursework due to COVID-19.
- St Olaf will accept AP and IB credits if exams are taken from home due to the impact of COVID-19. St Olaf respects the expertise of testing boards, schools, and educational institutions to make alternative assessment plans due to COVID-19 for students finishing their high school coursework in 2020.