Override Instructions for Faculty
*Please see instructional videos below.
An Override is an electronic process that permits a student to add your course in the following situations:
- The student has not met the hard-coded prerequisites or has met them in another way such as with transfer credits.
- The course is closed.
Overrides can be student-initiated or faculty-initiated. The Dept Chair/Program Director has determined prerequisites for each course in your dept/program. Prerequisites can include a preceding course, a GE, or a restriction that a course is for majors or a specific student classification only. Our recommendation is to postpone maintaining waitlists until after the first full week of registration. Please note the following:
- The ability to request an Override for prerequisites will begin during Quiet Week for Advising.
- Our recommendation is to not entertain Overrides due to capacity until after registration begins and the course is full. The Override process is not meant to be a waitlist.
- Remember that if your course reopens due to a student dropping, any other student may take that final seat.
- If you approve a prerequisite Override but the course is full by the time the student registers, the student can request a capacity Override, you can edit your previously approved Override to include a capacity Override, or you can elect to add that student to your instructor-maintained waitlist.