This page contains information important to theater scholarship application process. Please read it carefully prior to completing your application.
St. Olaf theater scholarships are merit-based scholarships that are awarded to incoming new students with exceptional theater talent and promise in any area of theater. Students also may qualify for additional need-based aid, in which case the theater scholarship becomes part of the student’s financial aid package.
Awards of up to $6,000 per year are open to theater majors and non-theater majors. These renewable awards require involvement in the production program of the St. Olaf Theater and the recommendation of the theater faculty.
Criteria for renewing scholarships
Theater scholarship applications are accepted beginning mid October, 2013 with a deadline of January 15, 2015. A student applying for the scholarship must also have submitted a Common Application and St. Olaf Supplement to the Common Application to the Admissions office by January 15, 2014.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS NOW CLOSED
NOTE! if you have already started a common application (or one of the other St. Olaf Fine Arts applications), you are a RETURNING visitor and NOT a new visitor. You may log in with the credentials emailed to you previously. Once into the system you will be provided with several application options. Be sure to choose the option called “2014 Theater”.
Your complete theater scholarship application must be received by the January 15, 2014 deadline.
A complete application includes:
- Submission of online application
- Theater resume listing theater experiences in the past four years. Include school, community and regional performances.
- A list of any honors or awards received.
- One letter of recommendation from a theater teacher.
- An essay responding to the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in the theater program at St. Olaf College?
2. Answer one of the following questions:
- Have you had a significant mentor in theater? If so, briefly describe that experience.
- Is there a significant theater event or production that you have attended that made a lasting impression on you? Please describe.
- In addition to the theater scholarship application, the St. Olaf College application for admission is also due January 15, 2014.
Following the January 15, 2014 deadline, selected applicants will be invited to Fine Arts Scholars Weekend for an on-campus interview on either February 28th or March 1st. There will be no auditions.
Mid October 2013 to January 15, 2014
Scholarship applications accepted online.
January 15, 2014
Your completed St. Olaf College Application for Admission and your completed Theater Scholarship Application including a letter of recommendation from your theater teacher must be on file in the Admissions Office.
February 28 & March 1, 2014 – Fine Arts Scholars Weekend
Invited applicants will attend an on-campus interview with Theater faculty during one of these two days. There will be no auditions.
Late March, 2014
Scholarship decisions are mailed.
May 1, 2014
National Candidate Reply date (date by which all students must respond to offers of admission and to scholarship awards).
For questions relating to the scholarship application process contact:
Jeanne Tangren Hatle
Academic Administrative Assistant
St. Olaf College
1520 St. Olaf Avenue
Northfield MN 55057