St. Olaf students can gain four types of support from the CURI office:
- Positions in the annual summer research and inquiry program (often dubbed “the CURI program”)
- Steen Fellowships for independent study during the summer
- Magnus the Good projects for research and reflection partnerships with faculty
- Support for student travel to present research and inquiry results at conferences
All four programs require a separate application process.
2024 CURI Summer Research Program
- Application for 2024 will be available in January 2024.
- If you are interested you will:
- Submit your materials electronically via Handshake by clicking into the link within the project description that says “Apply for this position”.
- Apply for each position you would like separately.
- Only complete applications will be considered.
2024 Steen Fellowships
The Lynn and Mary Steen Fellowship aims to support student-initiated projects that demonstrate independent scholarship, investigation, and creativity. Student Steen Fellows pursue their projects independently of faculty mentors. Application forms will be available in February. Please download and complete the Steen Expense Worksheet and upload it within the application form. Learn more about the program. Video recording of January 18, 2021 Open House.
Applications for summer 2024 will open in February and be due early March.
Magnus the Good Projects
Initiated in 2003, the “Magnus the Good Endowed Fund,” established by friends of the former Paracollege honors several important values of the college, including that (1) both faculty and students learn and grow when they collaborate in one-on-one partnerships for research and/or reflection, and (2) students learn well through having opportunities to extend and apply classroom learning. Magnus the Good projects support any and all disciplines.
Applications for 2024-25 academic year will open in February and be due early March.
Individuals or small groups working with a faculty member on the same or related projects may apply for up to $1,000 of travel support each for reimbursable expenses. It is not always possible to fulfill all requests. Final awards determined in part by your financial need as measured by the Financial Aid office.