Frequently Asked Questions

When do we register for classes?

Class registration will happen on Sept. 3th after you have moved onto campus and have met with your Academic Advisor.  You do register for your First Year Writing and First Year Religion course on July 18th here.

When do we get information about housing?

A roommate preference form will become available on the Destination St. Olaf page around May 1st. You can fill out the form here.

When is orientation?

At St. Olaf we welcome students to campus during Week One, which is an orientation week that leads right into the start of the academic year. You can find out more about Week One here.

How do I submit my AP/IB scores and get credit for other pre-college courses?  

Please see the Registrar’s policy on transfer credit here.   If you wish to speak with someone directly, please feel free to reach out to the Registrar’s Office.  

How can I request a gap year?

To request a gap year, first submit your enrollment deposit to secure your place in the class. By May 15, you will then need to email our Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid, Chris George, to officially request your gap year . In your email, please detail your plan for your gap year. Requests are granted on a case-by-case basis.

How early can I ship things to the post office?

Items can arrive on and after August 28th.   Your package(s) will be waiting for you in the Post Office on Campus.

How do I know which placement exams to take?  Do I have to take placement exams for subjects that I may or may not take in college?  

You should take any placement exams that relate to course work you have taken in high school. Placement exams do not determine credit and are used only for placement. We encourage you to take these exams as soon as you are able.  They can be found on the Summer Due Dates page under Track Your Progress.

Where is the schedule for move-in day weekend?

https://wp.stolaf.edu/weekone/student/

How do I know when I can book my flight home at the end of first semester?

You can find the 2019-2020 Academic Calendar here. You will have access to your specific finals schedule once you arrive on campus and register for your 1st semester courses.

When is parents weekend?

October 4 – 6, 2019

How do I apply for certain work-study positions if I would prefer not to be placed?

First Year Students are able to apply to certain student work positions.  You can find instructions and potential listings at this website: https://wp.stolaf.edu/studentemployment/first-year-students/

I need to change something I submitted on one of the forms. How do I do this?

Please email: NewOleQuestions@stolaf.edu