Individual Professional Activity and Travel (IPAT) Accounts

Each member of the faculty with a tenured, tenure-track, teaching specialist, or special appointment, excluding those who possess professional development support as the holder of a named professorship, will be granted up to $1,500 each fiscal year (June 1–May 31) for professional development support, including scholarship or creative activity needs.  Examples of such needs include travel to professional meetings (for purposes of participation or attendance); travel for the purposes of research or performance; acquisition of research materials, including books; campus visits by collaborators or consultants; manuscript preparation costs, subvention fees, and copyright permissions; professional organization dues; etc.

IPAT funds may not be used to purchase or maintain cellular telephones, computer hardware/software, electronic devices or audio visual technology, to pay stipends or honoraria to college employees, or to pay students.  Electronic devices or other technology requests should be directed to IT as they may be able to procure these items for you.

All expenses paid or reimbursed from these funds are subject to college policies, including the St. Olaf College Travel and Business Expense Policy, and expense substantiation rules.  Questions about whether these funds may be used for a particular expense should be directed to the Budget Analyst (x3876) in the Provost’s Office.

Each faculty member with an IPAT fund will be given an accounting unit, unique to them.  Faculty members are responsible for managing their individual account.

Unspent funds will not normally carry over from one fiscal year to the next.  However, faculty anticipating international travel or other significant professional expenses in the following year may request that funds remaining at the end of a fiscal year be carried over (one year only).  Such requests, including a rationale, should be directed to the Budget Analyst and must be received by April 1.  (Please note that it may not be possible to honor all requests.)

From time to time there are extraordinary opportunities for faculty professional development that require funding beyond the limits established in this policy. Although available funds are limited, the college will try to support a faculty member in taking advantage of such opportunities. Please address all requests of this nature to your associate dean.

Faculty with term appointments may request funds for professional travel using the Faculty Travel Authorization Form.

Each member of the faculty who uses college professional development funds must submit an annual report on his/her activities and plans.