Suggested Syllabus Statements

The following are several suggested statements that faculty members may choose to include on their course syllabi. If individual faculty members have alternative texts of these statements, or other statements they would like to share, they can send them to the chair of the Student Life Committee.

Accommodations

Option #1

I am committed to supporting the learning of all students in my class. Students seeking accommodations, please contact Disability and Access staff at 507-786-3288 or by visiting wp.stolaf.edu/academic-support/dac.

Option #2.

I am committed to supporting the learning of all students in my class. If you have already registered with Disability and Access (DAC) and have your letter of accommodations, please meet with me as soon as possible to discuss, plan, and implement your accommodations in the course. If you have or think you have a disability (learning, sensory, physical, chronic health, mental health or attentional), please contact Disability and Access staff at 507-786-3288 or by visiting wp.stolaf.edu/academic-support/dac.​

Suggested addition if your course normally would prohibit computers in class:

Laptops and/or other digital equipment may not be used in this class unless you have made special arrangements with the professor.

The Writing Desk

The Writing Desk: Peer tutors at the Writing Desk offer help with any paper, in any class, at any stage of the writing process. You can sign up for an appointment online, stop by RML 354, or,  drop in for online tutoring Sundays 12pm-9:45pm, Mondays-Thursdays 9am-9:45pm, and Fridays 9am-5pm. Learn more at https://wp.stolaf.edu/academic-support/writing-help/
Revised 9/21

The Speaking Space

Speaking Tutors help students effectively speak and listen within academic conversations, from participating in or leading class discussions to preparing and rehearsing formal presentations. Sign up for appointments by filling out this form.  A tutor will contact you to arrange a meeting time and location. Revised 9/21

Plagiarism and Academic Integrity

Plagiarism, the unacknowledged appropriation of another person’s words or ideas, is a serious academic offense.  It is imperative that you hand in work that is your own, and that cites or gives credit to others whenever you draw from their work. Please see St. Olaf’s statements on academic integrity and plagiarism at: https://wp.stolaf.edu/thebook/academic/integrity/.  See also the description of St. Olaf’s honor system at: https://wp.stolaf.edu/honorcouncil/.

Gender Pronoun

This course affirms people of all gender expressions and gender identities. If you go by a different name than what is on the class roster, please let me know. Using correct gender pronouns is important to me, so you are encouraged to share your pronouns with me and correct me if a mistake is made. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Faculty Members, please refer to this page for further information on using pronouns.

Statement of Inclusivity

In keeping with St. Olaf College’s mission statement, this class strives to be an inclusive learning community, respecting those of differing backgrounds and beliefs. As a community, we aim to be respectful to all citizens in this class, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

St. Olaf Pride Statement

As an Ole, I will practice: PASSION for learning and pursuit of vocation; RESPECT for the worth and dignity of all people; INTEGRITY at all times, in all circumstances; DEDICATION to a life of service; and ENGAGEMENT with my community and the world.

OR

As an Ole, I will practice:

Passion for learning and pursuit of vocation
Respect for the worth and dignity of all people
Integrity at all times, in all circumstances
Dedication to a life of service, and
Engagement with my community and the world.

Multilingual Student Support

I am committed to making course content accessible to all students.  If English is not your first language and this causes you concern about the course, please speak with me. Students who would like extra support with writing or speaking in English can also contact the language specialist (berryag@stolaf.edu) in CAAS.
amended 8/21
[Note for Faculty: Please also be aware of the St. Olaf College Statement on Instructional Adaptations to Testing Procedures for Students Whose First Language is Not English, which can be found here.]

Mental Health

Recommended syllabus statement on stress, anxiety, and mental health:
I greatly value your experience in this class, and it is my duty to facilitate a safe, caring, and productive learning environment. ​I recognize that you may experience a range of emotional, physical, and/or psychological issues, both in and out of the classroom, that may distract you from your learning.
If you are experiencing such issues, please do not hesitate to come see me—I am here to listen. We can also discuss what further resources might be available to you.

Required Referrals

Below are some examples of information faculty and staff can share with students they instruct or supervise to help students understand their role as supportive but non-confidential resources. 

Example 1 (for course instructor):

You are welcome to speak to me about any issues that arise for you in the context of this course, including any circumstances outside of class that may be affecting your classroom experience or academic performance.  However, please be aware that I am required to refer to the college’s Title IX Coordinator any information students share about experiences of sexual harassment, sexual assault, or dating violence.  I am also expected to share any disclosures of incidents of bias, harassment, or discrimination to the Bias Response Team. If you want to speak confidentially with someone about such an experience, you are encouraged to contact any of the following resources, who are not required to share your information with anyone.

Boe House Counseling Center

College Pastors and Chaplains

Sexual Assault Resource Network (SARN)

Health Services

TimelyCare

Information about support, resources, and options for students who have been affected by sexual harassment or misconduct is available on the Find Support page of the college’s Title IX website. Information about support, resources, and options for students who have experienced incidents of bias or discrimination is available on the college’s Equity and Inclusion website.

Example 2 (for course instructor):

There will be times throughout this course when students will write about or discuss events from their past. Students are encouraged to participate by sharing their experiences.  Please keep in mind that information you share that could affect your safety or the safety of others on campus, is information that I may be obligated to share with other college personnel.  For example, past experiences of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, stalking or dating violence is information that I am obligated to share with the college’s Title IX Coordinator.  Additionally, I am also expected to share any disclosures of incidents of bias, harassment, or discrimination to the Bias Response Team. By providing this notice, I do not wish to discourage students from sharing their experiences.  My intention is only to ensure that students are not confused about the confidentiality of information they choose to share.

If you want to speak confidentially with someone about such an experience, you are encouraged to contact any of the following resources, who are not required to share your information with anyone.

Boe House Counseling Center

College Pastors and Chaplains

Sexual Assault Resource Network (SARN)

Health Services

TimelyCare