Suggested Syllabus Statements

The following are several suggested statements that faculty members may choose to include on their course syllabi. If individual faculty members have alternative texts of these statements, or other statements they would like to share, they can send them to the chair of the Student Life Committee.

Accommodations

(These statements come from Disability and Access (DAC) and is up to date as of 11/30/2016)

Faculty members are strongly encouraged to include a statement on their syllabus regarding students with disabilities; making it clear that it is the student’s right and responsibility to initiate the process to access and receive reasonable and equitable accommodations, by contacting Accessibility Specialists Laura Knobel-Piehl or Nancy Cheeseman, EdD, LPC at 507-786-3288. DAC offices are located in the Academic Support Center (ASC), Buntrock Commons, Room 108.

Option #1

I am committed to supporting the learning of all students in my class. Students seeking accommodations, please contact Disability and Access staff at 507-786-3288 or by visiting wp.stolaf.edu/asc/dac.

Option #2.

I am committed to supporting the learning of all students in my class. If you have already registered with Disability and Access (DAC) and have your letter of accommodations, please meet with me early in the course to discuss, plan, and implement your accommodations in the course. If you have or think you have a disability (learning, sensory, physical, chronic health, mental health or attentional), please contact Disability and Access staff at 507-786-3288 or by visiting wp.stolaf.edu/asc/dac.​

Suggested addition if your course normally would prohibit computers in class:

Laptops and/or other digital equipment may not be used in this class unless you have made special arrangements with the professor.

Plagiarism and Academic Integrity

Plagiarism, the unacknowledged appropriation of another person’s words or ideas, is a serious academic offense.  It is imperative that you hand in work that is your own, and that cites or gives credit to others whenever you draw from their work. Please see St. Olaf’s statements on academic integrity and plagiarism at: https://wp.stolaf.edu/thebook/academic/integrity/.  See also the description of St. Olaf’s honor system at: https://wp.stolaf.edu/thebook/academic/honor/.

Preferred Gender Pronoun

This course affirms people of all gender expressions and gender identities. If you prefer to be called a different name than what is on the class roster, please let me know. Feel free to correct me on your preferred gender pronoun. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Statement of Inclusivity

In keeping with St. Olaf College’s mission statement, this class strives to be an inclusive learning community, respecting those of differing backgrounds and beliefs. As a community, we aim to be respectful to all citizens in this class, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

St. Olaf Pride Statement

As an Ole, I will practice: PASSION for learning and pursuit of vocation; RESPECT for the worth and dignity of all people; INTEGRITY at all times, in all circumstances; DEDICATION to a life of service; and ENGAGEMENT with my community and the world.

OR

As an Ole, I will practice:

Passion for learning and pursuit of vocation
Respect for the worth and dignity of all people
Integrity at all times, in all circumstances
Dedication to a life of service, and
Engagement with my community and the world.

Multilingual Student Testing Statement

I am committed to making course content accessible to all students.  If English is not your first language and this causes you concern about the course, please speak with me.