Suggested Syllabus Statements

The following are several suggested statements that faculty members may choose to include on their course syllabi. If individual faculty members have alternative texts of these statements, or other statements they would like to share, they can send them to the chair of the Student Life Committee.

Accommodations

Option #1

I am committed to supporting the learning of all students in my class. Students seeking accommodations, please contact Disability and Access staff at 507-786-3288 or by visiting wp.stolaf.edu/academic-support/dac.

Option #2.

I am committed to supporting the learning of all students in my class. If you have already registered with Disability and Access (DAC) and have your letter of accommodations, please meet with me as soon as possible to discuss, plan, and implement your accommodations in the course. If you have or think you have a disability (learning, sensory, physical, chronic health, mental health or attentional), please contact Disability and Access staff at 507-786-3288 or by visiting wp.stolaf.edu/academic-support/dac.​

Suggested addition if your course normally would prohibit computers in class:

Laptops and/or other digital equipment may not be used in this class unless you have made special arrangements with the professor.

The Writing Desk

Peer tutors at the Writing Desk offer help with any paper, in any class, at any stage of the writing process. You can sign up for an appointment online or drop in to RML 354 or the outer reference room, across from the reference desk/by the IT helpdesk. Tutors are available Sundays 12-5 and 7-10, Mondays-Thursdays 9-5 and 7-10, and Fridays 9-5. Learn more at http://wp.stolaf.edu/caas/writing-help/.

The Speaking Space

Speaking tutors help students effectively speak and listen within academic conversations, from participating in or leading class discussions to preparing and rehearsing formal presentations. You can sign up for an appointment online or drop in Sundays-Thursdays 7-10pm in RML355. Learn more at http://wp.stolaf.edu/caas/speaking-center/.

Plagiarism and Academic Integrity

Plagiarism, the unacknowledged appropriation of another person’s words or ideas, is a serious academic offense.  It is imperative that you hand in work that is your own, and that cites or gives credit to others whenever you draw from their work. Please see St. Olaf’s statements on academic integrity and plagiarism at: https://wp.stolaf.edu/thebook/academic/integrity/.  See also the description of St. Olaf’s honor system at: https://wp.stolaf.edu/honorcouncil/.

Gender Pronoun

This course affirms people of all gender expressions and gender identities. If you go by a different name than what is on the class roster, please let me know. Using correct gender pronouns is important to me, so you are encouraged to share your pronouns with me and correct me if a mistake is made. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Faculty Members, please refer to this page for further information on using pronouns.

Statement of Inclusivity

In keeping with St. Olaf College’s mission statement, this class strives to be an inclusive learning community, respecting those of differing backgrounds and beliefs. As a community, we aim to be respectful to all citizens in this class, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

St. Olaf Pride Statement

As an Ole, I will practice: PASSION for learning and pursuit of vocation; RESPECT for the worth and dignity of all people; INTEGRITY at all times, in all circumstances; DEDICATION to a life of service; and ENGAGEMENT with my community and the world.

OR

As an Ole, I will practice:

Passion for learning and pursuit of vocation
Respect for the worth and dignity of all people
Integrity at all times, in all circumstances
Dedication to a life of service, and
Engagement with my community and the world.

Multilingual Student Testing Statement

I am committed to making course content accessible to all students.  If English is not your first language and this causes you concern about the course, please speak with me.

Mental Health

Recommended syllabus statement on stress, anxiety, and mental health:
I greatly value your experience in this class, and it is my duty to facilitate a safe, caring, and productive learning environment. ​I recognize that you may experience a range of emotional, physical, and/or psychological issues, both in and out of the classroom, that may distract you from your learning.
If you are experiencing such issues, please do not hesitate to come see me—I am here to listen. We can also discuss what further resources might be available to you.